Snack UI examples/docs

Doug Farrell

Hi all,

Does anyone know where I could find code examples, or documentation,
for the snack toolkit? And in this case I mean the text UI snack
module, not the sound toolkit which seems to show up in every google
search for 'python snack'. :)

Thanks in advance,
Doug

Grant Edwards

Does anyone know where I could find code examples, or
documentation, for the snack toolkit? And in this case I mean
the text UI snack module, not the sound toolkit which seems to
show up in every google search for 'python snack'. :)

The only ones I know about are the examples that come with the
library source distro. I wrote a couple small apps using snack
(in both Python and C). Though I only used a small set of the
available features, I thought it was very handy.

Jarek Zgoda

Doug Farrell said:
Does anyone know where I could find code examples, or documentation,
for the snack toolkit? And in this case I mean the text UI snack
module, not the sound toolkit which seems to show up in every google
search for 'python snack'. :)

There's no such thing. You can only look at 2 scripts in source package,
plus sources of old Anaconda installer and maybe 1 or 2 other programs.

Doug Farrell

Thanks for the replies,
There's no such thing. You can only look at 2 scripts in source package,
plus sources of old Anaconda installer and maybe 1 or 2 other programs.

I'm assuming the source package you are referring to is the source for
snack.py itself?

Thanks again,
Doug

Jarek Zgoda

Doug Farrell said:
I'm assuming the source package you are referring to is the source for
snack.py itself?

NEWT/Snack (aka python-newt in Debian) is a C extension interfacing with
libnewt.so. In source package (e.g. from Debian or better src.rpm for
newt from PLD) you will find only these 2 short "demos". To see
python-newt in something bigger, look for src.rpm for RedHat's Anaconda
installer (I am sure RH 7.3 has it, don't know if newer versions of RH
also use text-mode installation routine).

And that's all I know of python-newt examples.