    Python

    B) I need it to work on VMware Workstation 5

    C) Do not Recommend Fedora ,Debian (the Original).

    blah, Nov 6, 2005

  2. Ubuntu (see below).
    Most do.
    Debian is clean and powerful but perhaps not suited well for complete
    novices. So I would recommend a Debian-based distribution like "Ubuntu" to
    you. It will not bother you with all the gears and give you a working
    desktop environment which - of course - includes Python. If you like KDE
    over Gnome (I do) you can use "Kubuntu". If you haven't heard of Gnome or
    KDE yet... just try Ubuntu.

    Christoph

    Christoph Haas, Nov 6, 2005

  3. I installed Ubuntu on VMware Workstation 5 just a few days ago. Works
    nicely. There's one small problem: when installing the VMware tools in
    Ubuntu, the install program says it doesn't have any precompiled modules
    for the running kernel. It's not much of a problem since the installer
    can compile the modules itself; you just need to install the necessary
    packages in order for it being able to do so (best install them before
    running the VMware tools install scripts). The packages you need are:

    linux-headers-2.6.12-9-386
    gcc-3.4
    make

    Then either set the environment variable CC to /usr/bin/gcc-3.4 or wait
    until the vmware tools installer asks for the location of the compiler
    and enter /usr/bin/gcc-3.4. For the other questions it asks you can just
    use the default IIRC.

    Roel Schroeven, Nov 6, 2005
  4. blah

    Steve M Guest

    Steve M, Nov 6, 2005
  5. I have found my novice Linux users take to SUSE (either Gnome or KDE)
    readily. Probably because the devfs interfaces to the windows interface
    readily.

    rainbow.cougar, Nov 8, 2005