Solution for specific web app functionality needed (scheduling, networking)

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by mirek, Dec 17, 2003.

  1. mirek

    mirek Guest

    Hello,

    My ASP.NET application must have additional functionality which isn't
    typical for ordinary web use. It is:
    - connecting to the other server using specified protocol (an option to
    establish dialup connection also)
    - scheduling some task to be done at the time (e.g. retrieve info from
    other servers)

    I've got already this "network interface module" implemented for normal
    desktop application (c++) and it's imported to .net using managed c++
    wrappers. But the question is if it will be ok if I insert this imported
    module as a global object in HttpApplication derived class and use it
    from this?

    Scheduling - I'm thinking about creating my own scheduling main thread
    that will be also the part of HttpApplication. Is it OK?

    Maybe it would be better to implement this as separate service (Windows
    Service) but I'think there would be problmes in communication
    asp.net<->windows serivce and implementing this wold take longer.

    Any suggestions would be greatfully appreciated.

    Regards,
    Mirek

    mirek, Dec 17, 2003

  2. You are probably going to want to implement this as a separate service. When
    the last open session of a web application dies (after the timeout), then
    the application is torn down and ceases to exist until another user
    connects.

    Chris Jackson, Dec 17, 2003

  3. mirek

    mirek Guest

    Thanks, I didn't know about it (where can I find a detailed info about
    it in MSDN?).
    Do you suggest Windows Service? If yes, how to communicate with it from
    ASP.NET? I've read about RemoteObjects and it should work but is there a
    simpler method?

    Regards,
    Mirek

    mirek, Dec 17, 2003