Solution for specific web app functionality needed (scheduling, networking)

mirek

Hello,

My ASP.NET application must have additional functionality which isn't
typical for ordinary web use. It is:
- connecting to the other server using specified protocol (an option to
establish dialup connection also)
- scheduling some task to be done at the time (e.g. retrieve info from
other servers)

I've got already this "network interface module" implemented for normal
desktop application (c++) and it's imported to .net using managed c++
wrappers. But the question is if it will be ok if I insert this imported
module as a global object in HttpApplication derived class and use it
from this?

Scheduling - I'm thinking about creating my own scheduling main thread
that will be also the part of HttpApplication. Is it OK?

Maybe it would be better to implement this as separate service (Windows
Service) but I'think there would be problmes in communication
asp.net<->windows serivce and implementing this wold take longer.

Any suggestions would be greatfully appreciated.

Regards,
Mirek

Chris Jackson

You are probably going to want to implement this as a separate service. When
the last open session of a web application dies (after the timeout), then
the application is torn down and ceases to exist until another user
connects.

mirek

Chris said:
You are probably going to want to implement this as a separate service. When
the last open session of a web application dies (after the timeout), then
the application is torn down and ceases to exist until another user
connects.

Thanks, I didn't know about it (where can I find a detailed info about
it in MSDN?).
Do you suggest Windows Service? If yes, how to communicate with it from
ASP.NET? I've read about RemoteObjects and it should work but is there a
simpler method?

Regards,
Mirek