Some General Queries

Sameer Shinde

1. How to register a font using font file on a Windows workstation
using java?

2. How to position cursor in a textfield when the application is
started?

3. What is the standard way of deploying a Java application?

4. Is it possible to place a Java GUI Application in the system tray
on a windows platform when we minimize the same?

5. I have to execute a GUI application which is packaged as a jar file
which accepts some command line parameters. How can i create a
shortcut to this application on desktop? How to pass command line
arguments to it?

Andrew Thompson

2. How to position cursor in a textfield when the application is
started?
Component.requestFocus();

3. What is the standard way of deploying a Java application?

5. I have to execute a GUI application which is packaged as a jar file
which accepts some command line parameters.

See 3.

( well, 3 out of 5 ain't bad.. ;-)

HTH

Thomas Weidenfeller

Sameer said:
1. How to register a font using font file on a Windows workstation
using java?

(a) If the font should be available for all applications: By some
Windows-specific operation which you best ask for in a windows group.

(b) If you just need it in your Java application, you don't register it,
you use it: Font.createFont().
2. How to position cursor in a textfield when the application is
started?
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/uiswing/misc/focus.html

3. What is the standard way of deploying a Java application?
JWS

4. Is it possible to place a Java GUI Application in the system tray
on a windows platform when we minimize the same?

Only with platform specific JNI code.
5. I have to execute a GUI application which is packaged as a jar file
which accepts some command line parameters. How can i create a
shortcut to this application on desktop?

(a) They way you create any other windows shortcut

(b) Sun recently started some project to improve desktop integration. A
first version is available as some of the projects on www.java.net

How to pass command line
arguments to it?

By providing them on the command line.

/Thomas

Roedy Green

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/font.html

2. How to position cursor in a textfield when the application is
started?
The cursor is called the "caret". Check docs with that understanding.
3. What is the standard way of deploying a Java application?
see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/installer.html
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/javawebstart.html

4. Is it possible to place a Java GUI Application in the system tray
on a windows platform when we minimize the same?

That happen automatically on my machine Win2k.
5. I have to execute a GUI application which is packaged as a jar file
which accepts some command line parameters. How can i create a
shortcut to this application on desktop? How to pass command line
arguments to it?

Most easily done with an installer. Otherwise you much compose a *.lnk
file and store in in the desktop directory.