source files vs. resource files

Jackie

Hi all, I am new to visual c++, and found that each C++ project
automatically generates source files and resource files, what are their
roles, respectively? Thanks a lot.

roberts.noah

Jackie said:
Hi all, I am new to visual c++, and found that each C++ project
automatically generates source files and resource files, what are their
roles, respectively? Thanks a lot.

Resource files are specific to the development environment and OS, they
have nothing to do with C++. They are what they say, resources. The
often contain icons, strings, and version information. Fankly I hate
them...too much in Windows programming is done with some stupid static
string embedded in a resource file.

There is a whole OS specific API for dealing with resources in all the
languages you can code in. You need to see a windows specific
newsgroup for more information on them.

red floyd

Jackie said:
Hi all, I am new to visual c++, and found that each C++ project
automatically generates source files and resource files, what are their
roles, respectively? Thanks a lot.

Your question is specific to Visual C++, and as such, is off topic in
this newsgroup, which is the dedicated C++ language as defined by the
ISO standard.

Microsoft has several newsgroups, dedicated to Visual C++. May I
suggest trying

microsoft.public.vc.ide_general

For a general discussion of the IDE (the wizards and such are on-topic
there as well).

rossum

Hi all, I am new to visual c++, and found that each C++ project
automatically generates source files and resource files, what are their
roles, respectively? Thanks a lot.

The source files (*.cpp, *.h(pp)) are where the code that you actually
type is held. Resource files are specific to Windows and hold things
like Icons for your application. Resource files are off topic here,
you will get better information on them from a newsgroup dealing with
Windows.

rossum