SourceSafe....

Paul M

Hi folks,

We've been using VSS with both VB and Access for ages, with no problems.
I've been lead to believe that the integration between VS.NET (I'm writing
ASP and VB.NET mainly) and VSS is slow and problematic.

I find it hard to believe, as VSS is about as basic a source control system
as I can think of and it's the native MS product, but I'd like to hear your
opinions before I commit my work to it's keeping.

Thanks in advance...P

S. Justin Gengo

Paul,

We've been using VSS for years. And the last two have been with .Net. No
problems whatsoever (knock on wood).

I've found that a few settings in .Net are very useful if multiple
developers are working on a project so everyone here (Krause Publications)
has set their IDE as follows:

Tools - Options (Opens the Visual Studio.Net options dialog window)

Click on the "Source Control" folder.

Checked Options:

Get everything when a solution is opened
Check in everything when closing a solution
Display silent check in command in menus

UnChecked Options:

Display silent check out command in menus
Keep items check out when checking in

Both Drop Downs:

Prompt for check out

--
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer / Programmer

Free code library at:
www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzche

Todd Acheson

We've been using it with .NET since .NET was in Beta 1.
For the most part, its been trouble free.
Once, the VSS database got corrupted, but we were able to repair with the
admin tools.
All we do is VB.NET, ASP.NET, and our projects are large (800+ web pages).
If you had to get latest version over a phone line with our projects, then
yes, it would be slow and problematic.
VSS is owned by Microsoft, but I think they purchased it from another
company awhile back. Just a rumor I heard.

-Todd

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

We use it quite successfully with a small team (4-8) doing .Net stuff.

Avoid storing binaries in it and you should be okay.

Hans Kesting

Paul M said:
Hi folks,

We've been using VSS with both VB and Access for ages, with no problems.
I've been lead to believe that the integration between VS.NET (I'm writing
ASP and VB.NET mainly) and VSS is slow and problematic.

I find it hard to believe, as VSS is about as basic a source control system
as I can think of and it's the native MS product, but I'd like to hear your
opinions before I commit my work to it's keeping.

Thanks in advance...P

One hint to add: we disable the "auto protect" of our virusscanner, this
dramatically
increases the speed of "get latest version" and other functions that work on
a lot of files.

Hans Kesting