Speech recognition library?

Kevin

Hello guys,

Does any one know any nice (and free) English speech recognition
library for Java? I am writing a proto type project, which records
voice and translate that into English words/sentences.

Thanks a lot. :)

Dale King

Chris said:
Google for JSAPI, and look at:

That should get you started.

Actually it won't. While there are freely available text-to-speech JSAPI
implementations available there are none for speech-to-text.

One of the projects I have been working on in my spare time is to write
a native API to interface to COM to interface with Microsoft's speech
API which is freely available on Windows. This is Windoze specific and
not JSAPI compliant, but is doable. Unfortunately it is still doable and
not done ;-)

dan.a.lewis

Dale said:
Actually it won't. While there are freely available text-to-speech JSAPI
implementations available there are none for speech-to-text.

One of the projects I have been working on in my spare time is to write
a native API to interface to COM to interface with Microsoft's speech
API which is freely available on Windows. This is Windoze specific and
not JSAPI compliant, but is doable. Unfortunately it is still doable and
not done ;-)

Dale is right that there is no free as in freedom speech-to-text JSAPI
implementation. But there is a free as in beer option. If you can do
your prototype in a month, Cloud Garden has a 30-day trial of its
implementation of JSAPI available here:
http://www.cloudgarden.com/JSAPI/index.html

The personal license for $16 is a bit restrictive, but it should be ok
if you don't need to distribute your software (e.g., if you're doing
research). It's $420 and up for effective redistribution of their
library to customers.

I just finished doing a speech-recognizing browser for hierarchical
data with this technology, and it was a great aha moment when I got it
talking. This document from Sun was an invaluable help to me:
http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/speech/forDevelopers/jsapi-guide/index.html

Good luck,
Dan Lewis