Speech recognition system in VHDL? - ideas or resources?

David

Hi!
My name is David and I'm a Swedish student (so please overlook my bad
English) who is kind of new to VHDL. I've been given the assignment to
somehow implement a speech recognition system in VHDL for a later hardware
implementation. I've found tools for translating ANSI-C to VHDL, but not the
system itself.

Does anyone know if there has been any speech recognition system made in
VHDL before? Does anyone have links/references to such resources, or just
some useful ideas or suggestions?

I'm very grateful for any help, I'm a bit perplexed... ;-)

Best regards,
David the Swedish student :)

Tuukka Toivonen

Hi!
My name is David and I'm a Swedish student (so please overlook my bad
English) who is kind of new to VHDL. I've been given the assignment to
somehow implement a speech recognition system in VHDL for a later hardware
implementation. I've found tools for translating ANSI-C to VHDL, but not the
system itself.

Sounds like a major task. This could be a topic for MSc thesis,
or maybe even PhD...

I'm not expert in speech recognition but I think a better solution
would be part-hardware part-software solution, where heavy but
straightforward initial signal processing would be done on ASIC/FPGA,
and then the reduced data would be further processed in software.

I hope you know how to do speech recognizion in general--if not, start
first learning the principles, after that you should have an idea
how to partition the problem into sw/hw.

Anthony J Bybell

Tuukka Toivonen said:
I hope you know how to do speech recognizion in general--if not, start
first learning the principles, after that you should have an idea
how to partition the problem into sw/hw.

http://www.eedesign.com/isd/features/OEG20011106S0050

Also, TI has lots of articles on stuff like this with DSPs doing the
grunt work. Of course it's not VHDL, but the problem solving process
is important. Anyway, one of their DSP examples:

http://www.eetchina.com/ARTICLES/2001MAY/PDF1/2001MAY02_DSP_MSD_AN1138.PDF

Good Luck!
-t