    that could recognize a few verbal commands from me and respond
    accordingly? I'm not thinking of anything real sophisticated here, just
    a few commands, and it only has to recognize one voice (mine).

    Jonathan Bale, Nov 2, 2010

  2. Let me be clear: I /don't/ want to create my own voice recognition
    software. (Holy Waveform, Batman!) I just wanted to tie some existing
    software into a script that could launch a few of my favorite commands
    and applications. E.g., "Computer, launch Firefox".

    Jonathan Bale, Nov 3, 2010

    Oh, and I'm running Gentoo Linux, so a Linux-only solution is fine.

    Jonathan Bale, Nov 3, 2010
  4. Jonathan Bale

    Andreas S. Guest

    The most seamless solution would be Sphinx4 with JRuby. But I would
    recommend using pocketsphinx and calling it via command line, I found
    that it performs better and is much easier to use. Just use one of the
    acoustic models that come with pocketsphinx, write a JSGF grammar,
    generate a dictionary and you're good to go. As long as you have a
    limited grammar and a reasonably clear audio signal it's no rocket
    science to build something that works well.

    Andreas S., Nov 3, 2010
  5. Performs better at command line instead of direct invocation from
    JRuby? If so, please prove it and file a perf bug :)

    - Charlie

    Charles Oliver Nutter, Nov 19, 2010