Spell checking with Java

Helmut Juskewycz

I am looking for a module which allows spell checking. Since the
project is in Java, it would be good if the spell checking is also in
Java. I googled and found J(A)spell and Jazzy, but I don't have any
experience with those projects, and I am not sure how their quality
is. Another possibility is to access Aspell over JNI.
It is important that the project supports many different languages,
and like always the performance issue.

I appreciate every help/tips I get!

Chris Uppal

Helmut said:
I am looking for a module which allows spell checking. Since the
project is in Java, it would be good if the spell checking is also in
Java. I googled and found J(A)spell and Jazzy, but I don't have any
experience with those projects, and I am not sure how their quality
is. Another possibility is to access Aspell over JNI.
It is important that the project supports many different languages,
and like always the performance issue.

Two other possibilities.

One is to execute some handy standalone spellchecker program like Aspell (or
whatever) as an external process reading from stdin and writing to stdout.
That architecture works a lot better than you'd imagine -- especially if you
can avoid Cygwin-based ports of Unix-y programs to Windows (native ports are
fine, it's just that Cygwin add a lot to the startup time). Even if you don't
stick with that forever, it should take no more than a few minutes to hack
together a first cut at a package using that approach, which would allow you to
focus on more pressing matters (I'm sure you have many such ;-)

A more complex approach, but not difficult at all if you a re comfortable with
JNI, would be to use it to connect Java and the Hunspell library.
http://hunspell.sourceforge.net/
The specific advantage of Hunspell is that it's used in OpenOffice, so their
language files are widely available. I have done this myself (not in Java, but
the idea's the same) and there were no great difficulties except (as ever) for
the lack of documentation. In fact the only real source of confusion is that
there are a buch of undocumented/underdocumented functions in the library for
morphological analysis -- the thing to do is just to ignore them.

-- chris

Helmut Juskewycz

thank you,
I think I will stick to the Hunspell approach and hope that it is
really not too much difficult :)