ssl certificate

Leslie

I need to set up a secure web page for a client to accept donations
via credit card and e-check. I've never done this.

Can anyone here recommend an ssl certificate seller? Verisign seems
to be predominate, but much more expensive than some of the other
companies I googled up. Digicert? InstantSSL?

This is a non-profit group so cost is a concern, but the primary
concern is security and reliability.

Can anyone recommend a seller from their experience? Any company we
should avoid?

Is there a better newsgroup for this question?

Thanks!

Leslie
"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person."

Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

Leslie said:
I need to set up a secure web page for a client to accept donations
via credit card and e-check. I've never done this.

Try FreeSSL.com, you can get one for about $40 a year. Please understand
that you need to do more than just slap a form mailer up on an SSL webpage
for it to be secure.

--Tina

Leslie

Try FreeSSL.com, you can get one for about $40 a year. Please understand
that you need to do more than just slap a form mailer up on an SSL webpage
for it to be secure.

Thanks for the info, Tina. I'll check out FreeSSL.com

I know I've got to do more than slap up a form mailer, but this will
be one of those "learn as you go" processes.

As much as I've got to learn I'm sure my first step will be to
purchase an SSL certificate and I have no info on which to base an
intelligent decision on which seller to use.

I would really like to do this right the first time.

Thanks,

Leslie
"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person."

Shailesh Humbad

Leslie said:
Thanks for the info, Tina. I'll check out FreeSSL.com

I know I've got to do more than slap up a form mailer, but this will
be one of those "learn as you go" processes.

As much as I've got to learn I'm sure my first step will be to
purchase an SSL certificate and I have no info on which to base an
intelligent decision on which seller to use.

I would really like to do this right the first time.

Thanks,

Leslie
"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person."

If your client is not accepting donations from the general public, you
can just create a free test certificate to enable SSL, as described in
my article here: http://www.somacon.com/iis_ssl/ Sometimes, your
hosting provider will allow you to use their SSL certificate as part
of their hosting fee, saving you the full cost of a cert. I have even
heard of free hosting for non-profits. Just search for "free hosting
non-profit" in google. Otherwise, for a low-volume site, an
inexpensive cert is the best way to go. Any certificate (self-signed
or purchased) makes the network traffic encrypted, so you only need a
'name-brand' cert like Verisign if you need maximum 'trust' from the
general public. In other words, you need it if you think that the
<0.5% of users who see a warning about the certificate from FreeSSL
will be put off from making a donation on your site. You can sidestep
the whole SSL/cc processing issue by using a Paypal merchant account.
Just set up a web payments page and you can easily accept credit cards
even from people who do not have a Paypal account.

Shailesh Humbad

Shailesh said:
[...]
P.S. if you sign up for a paypal account, use this link so I get the
referral bonus:

https://www.paypal.com/us/mrb/pal=RDSAY8ZRHUBFL

Thanks!

BruceB

Shailesh said:
P.S. if you sign up for a paypal account, use this link so I get the
referral bonus:
https://www.paypal.com/us/mrb/pal=RDSAY8ZRHUBFL

Why am I not surprised to see this link??

I'm a reseller for Freessl (no, I'm not posting some link here) and they are
a good way to save some bucks. They are part of Geotrust, and you can get a
better cert through them for Geotrust if you want. Also, they can issue the
cert in about 10 minutes, unlike Thawte or Verisign..

Bruce