Standalone applications

Martin Kock

Hi, I'm writing a small application in Borland C++ Builder 4. Just for your
information, it is a
win32 application with a GUI, programmed in WinXP, but supposed to run on
Win98.

Anyways, my executable seems to require some Borland DLL files to be on the
system in
order to run. How do I create a standalone application, that anyone can run
from any computer?

Or, alternatively, is there an easy-to-use package which will assemble
everything the user
needs in an installfile (setup.exe)?

Thanks in advance.

Nicolas Pavlidis

Martin said:
Hi, I'm writing a small application in Borland C++ Builder 4. Just for your
information, it is a
win32 application with a GUI, programmed in WinXP, but supposed to run on
Win98.
Anyways, my executable seems to require some Borland DLL files to be on the
system in
order to run. How do I create a standalone application, that anyone can run
from any computer?

Maybe, by using another library than the VCL, or by trying to compile
the VCL into the projekt nd not using dynamicaly loaded things.

I think, that you want to look up some of the NGs of borland for your
question ;-)
Or, alternatively, is there an easy-to-use package which will assemble
everything the user
needs in an installfile (setup.exe)?

Thats a possibility too, but AFAIK, you'd have to write the setup -
application by your self, AFAIK there is no tool comming with BCB that
makes this work for you.

Kind regards,
Nicolas

Mike Wahler

Martin Kock said:
Hi, I'm writing a small application in Borland C++ Builder 4. Just for your
information, it is a
win32 application with a GUI, programmed in WinXP, but supposed to run on
Win98.

Anyways, my executable seems to require some Borland DLL files to be on the
system in
order to run. How do I create a standalone application, that anyone can run
from any computer?

Or, alternatively, is there an easy-to-use package which will assemble
everything the user
needs in an installfile (setup.exe)?

None of these are C++ language issues, but platform and
OS-specific issues, so they're not topical for comp.lang.c++.

Try a Borland and/or Windows newsgroup. You can find
information about those groups (as well as much other
useful information) at the Microsoft and Borland web sites:
http://www.msdn.microsoft.com
http://bdn.borland.com/

Purpose of comp.lang.c++:
http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt

C++ FAQ:
http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/

-Mike

gooch

"Anyways, my executable seems to require some Borland DLL files to be
on the
system in
order to run. How do I create a standalone application, that anyone can
run
from any computer?"

Some of the underlying code for the GUI interfaces created by Borland
require DLLs supplied by Borlan. I don't know of a way to do this from
Borland.

"Or, alternatively, is there an easy-to-use package which will assemble

everything the user
needs in an installfile (setup.exe)?"

You can use a tool like installshield to package up the executable and
tell it that it should include all dependencies but that is a kind of
expensive way to go. It will do the trick though.

Ioannis Vranos

Martin said:
Hi, I'm writing a small application in Borland C++ Builder 4. Just for your
information, it is a
win32 application with a GUI, programmed in WinXP, but supposed to run on
Win98.

Anyways, my executable seems to require some Borland DLL files to be on the
system in
order to run. How do I create a standalone application, that anyone can run
from any computer?

Or, alternatively, is there an easy-to-use package which will assemble
everything the user
needs in an installfile (setup.exe)?

Try to find information about static linking. Static linking integrates
the required dlls inside the executable, while dynamic linking makes the
application depend on the external dlls.

Naturally, static linking produces larger executables than dynamic linking.

Alternatively (or not) you may use an installer package. There are some
free ones on the net, so check in the web for the keywords "free"
"installer" or click on this:

http://www.google.com.gr/search?hl=...fficial&q=free+installer&btnG=Αναζήτηση&meta=

Also do not forget to ask in the borland newsgroups.

Martin Kock

Hi, and thanks for your answers. I think I will be going with one of the
installshield solutions,
and see if one of them can do the trick for me.

Any further questions from me will propably be in one of the Borland forums.
Thanks again.