Standalone applications ?

Madhusudan Singh

Hi

I just finished developing an application using Qt Designer in Python that
uses pyqwt, gpib, etc. How does one create standalone executables for
applications such as these ?

Thanks.

Paolo Alexis Falcone

Hi

I just finished developing an application using Qt Designer in Python that
uses pyqwt, gpib, etc. How does one create standalone executables for
applications such as these ?

Generally, you can't, as Python is an interpreted programming language.
However, there are some projects like py2exe in Windows which approximates
what you want to do - port the Python code into a stand-alone application.

Madhusudan Singh

Paolo said:
Generally, you can't, as Python is an interpreted programming language.
However, there are some projects like py2exe in Windows which approximates
what you want to do - port the Python code into a stand-alone application.

I should have added that my platform is Linux.

TPJ

I should have added that my platform is Linux.

In this case you shouldn't bother yourself with executables. Python is
available on any major distribution.

My Python apps are available as pyc files for Linux (and for those
Windows users, who have Python installed) and as executables for Win
(for those Windows users, who have no Python installed).

Peter Decker

In this case you shouldn't bother yourself with executables. Python is
available on any major distribution.

My Python apps are available as pyc files for Linux (and for those
Windows users, who have Python installed) and as executables for Win
(for those Windows users, who have no Python installed).

What about any dependencies? While Linux distros may have Python
installed, it may be an older version, and may not have one or two
libraries that your app needs. E.g., I have Python that came with my
FC2 install, but it doesn't come with Tkinter, so if you build a
Tkinter-based app and just send me the .pyc file, it won't work.

Madhusudan Singh

TPJ said:
In this case you shouldn't bother yourself with executables. Python is
available on any major distribution.

My Python apps are available as pyc files for Linux (and for those
Windows users, who have Python installed) and as executables for Win
(for those Windows users, who have no Python installed).

My python app uses a lot of modules, some custom developed by myself (and
which I am not planning on releasing right now). Which is why I posed the
question in the first place (that and curiosity).

TPJ

It's just the same as with Java, GTK+, Qt or any other
library/platform. If you're doing development with Java, you can use
any version that you like (for example the version 1.5) - and your
application probably won't be able to run by an older version of Java.
The same is with, for example, GTK+ library - if you use the version
2.6, your application might not work on systems with older version of
the GTK+ library.

And the same is with Python. When you develop application with Python,
you must use some version of Python - and this is your dependency. You
might say that your application needs a particular version of Python
(and eventually particular versions of external modules).

TPJ

Well, I think I must answer to my own post...

There is at least one reason to bother with executables. I have just
read a message. Someone wanted to run a program written in Python +
wxPython. But he has failed. Why? Because the version of wxPython on
his system was newer and it's API was different.

Of course he could install an older (the proper) version of wxPython as
well... But he's not a developer. He don't know how to install Python,
wxPython and so on... And he's not interested in such knowledge.

So there *is* a reason for making executables.