State Server stopped working after installing .NET Framework 1.1 S

Guest

I am running an asp.net project on my localhost and using state server as
state management, it has the following code in web.config
<sessionState mode="StateServer"
stateConnectionString="tcpip=MyMachineName:42424" timeout="20"
cookieless="false" />

It had been working fine until I installed
Microsoft .Net Framework 1.1 SP1 (and Windows Update)

I got error"Unable to make the session state request to the session state
server"

I ensure that the ASP .NET State Service is running as .\ASPNET account.

Please advise.

[MSFT]

Hello,

You may try to run

aspnet_regiis -r

from \Windows\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v1.1.4322 folder and reboot your
server. Will this help?

Also, you need to make if the problem occur when you save large data into
session varaint. Based on my experience, save too many data in session also
can cause such a problem.

Luke

Guest

Hi,
I did run aspnet_regiis -r and reboot, it did not help.

I am having a large ASP.NET app running on my localhost. The only thing I
know is my state server setting was working before I installed .Net framework
1.1 SP1 and stopped working after.

I couldn't get the login page come up so I don't think the session even get
started.
Here is the detailed trace message: (the ASP.NET State service is started on
my machine)

HttpException (0x8007274d): Unable to make the session state request to the
session state server. Please ensure that the ASP.NET State service is started
and that the client and server ports are the same. If the server is on a
remote machine, please ensure that it accepts remote requests by checking the
value of
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\aspnet_state\Parameters\AllowRemoteConnection.]

System.Web.SessionState.OutOfProcStateClientManager.MakeRequest(StateProtocolVerb
verb, String id, StateProtocolExclusive exclusiveAccess, Int32 timeout, Int32
lockCookie, Byte[] buf, Int32 cb, Int32 networkTimeout,
SessionNDMakeRequestResults& results) +512
System.Web.SessionState.OutOfProcStateClientManager.SetAsyncWorker(String
id, SessionStateItem item, Byte[] buf, Int32 length, Boolean inStorage) +57

System.Web.SessionState.OutOfProcStateClientManager.System.Web.SessionState.IStateClientManager.Set(String
id, SessionStateItem item, Boolean inStorage) +142
System.Web.SessionState.SessionStateModule.OnReleaseState(Object source,
EventArgs eventArgs) +465
System.Web.SessionState.SessionStateModule.OnEndRequest(Object source,
EventArgs eventArgs) +44

System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication+IExecutionStep.Execute() +60
completedSynchronously) +87

[MSFT]

Have you check the registry value
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\aspnet_state\Parameter
s\AllowRemoteConnection". It should be set to 1. Additionally, it the
problem occur with all the ASP.NET applications? if you create a new one,
will it also report such an problem?

Luke

Guest

Hi,

I reset AllowRemoteConnection = 1, it was 0. The problem still exists.

Also, I created another asp.net project. and the same problem appeared as
well.

Thanks

[MSFT]

If you change the config code like:

<configuration>
<sessionstate
mode="stateserver"
cookieless="false"
timeout="20"
server="127.0.0.1"
port="42424"
/>
</configuration>

What will be the result?

LUke

Guest

I ran without debugging and got Parser Error Message: "Unrecognized attribute
'server'".

If I changed to:

<sessionState
mode="StateServer"
cookieless="false"
timeout="20"
stateConnectionString="tcpip=127.0.0.1:42424"
/>

It was running fine.

[MSFT]

Hello,

For further trouble shooting, I suggest you may download a tool named
"TCPVIEW". It can moniter the usage of TCP ports:

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/tcpview.shtml

You can check with the tool if the ASP.NET State Service in on the port
42424. You may find following in the log of TCPVIEW:

aspnet_state.exe:1340 TCP ComputerName:42424 sha-yxzhang-new:0 LISTENING

Also, I suggest you may try to add the account ASPNET to local
administrators group to see if this will help.

Luke