Static library Vs. Dynamic library

iceColdFire

Hi,

Can someone highlight the difference between static library and bynamic
library...and how do .lib and .dll files come up in the picture...

Thanks,
a.a.cpp++ :)

Alf P. Steinbach

* iceColdFire:
Can someone highlight the difference between static library and bynamic
library...

Dynamic libraries are not covered by the C++ standard. For that matter,
neither are static libraries, but static libraries just provide ordinary
C++ code. For an explanation of static libraries, see

and how do .lib and .dll files come up in the picture...

That's off-topic in this group.

Try posting in e.g. [comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32] for Windows-
specific questions.

sam

Hi,

This is also related to static link of third-party C++ library.
After compiled and linked with ACE in FreeBSD 5.4, apart from copy my
program over, I found that I also need to copy the libace..so.5.4.1 file
to the target system as well.

I found somewhere in the internet mentioned that I can compile the
program static link with ACE, but it didn't describe the detail of how
to do that in Unix.

Can anyone please tell me how to static link a C++ program with ACE
library in Unix? I want to compile and link my program with the ACE
library into one, so that when I deliver the program to my client, I
only deliver one program.

Thanks
Sam