Status of JPE (Java-Python Extension)?

Tim Churches

I am asking this on behalf of a Java enthusiast who is interested in using ZODB
and other Python assets from his Java code:

a) Has anyone used JPE (Java-Python Extension - see
http://jpe.sourceforge.net/ )?

b) If so, what were their experiences?

c) Is the project still active?

d) Are there any alternatives for making calls on Java objects from CPython, or
vice-versa? Or is Corba or similar the best approach?

Tim C

John J. Lee

Tim Churches said:
d) Are there any alternatives for making calls on Java objects from
CPython, or vice-versa? Or is Corba or similar the best approach?

Pyro. Never used it, though.

John

Tim Churches

Pyro. Never used it, though.

PyRO is great (have used it), but strictly Python to Python.

--

Tim C

PGP/GnuPG Key 1024D/EAF993D0 available from keyservers everywhere
or at http://members.optushome.com.au/tchur/pubkey.asc
Key fingerprint = 8C22 BF76 33BA B3B5 1D5B EB37 7891 46A9 EAF9 93D0

John J Lee

PyRO is great (have used it), but strictly Python to Python.

Jython is Python. From the Pyro web page:

What does Pyro offer you?

Written in 100% pure Python. It is small, simple and extremely portable -
it runs everywhere Python runs and TCP/IP networking is available. Partial
support for Jython. Minimum Python version required is 2.1.x, though the
latest Python version is recommended.

dunno what 'partial support' means, though.

John

Tim Churches

[...]
d) Are there any alternatives for making calls on Java objects from
CPython, or vice-versa? Or is Corba or similar the best approach?

Pyro. Never used it, though.

PyRO is great (have used it), but strictly Python to Python.

Jython is Python. From the Pyro web page:

What does Pyro offer you?

Written in 100% pure Python. It is small, simple and extremely portable -
it runs everywhere Python runs and TCP/IP networking is available. Partial
support for Jython. Minimum Python version required is 2.1.x, though the
latest Python version is recommended.

OK, thanks.
dunno what 'partial support' means, though.

Irmen, can you elucidate?

--

Tim C

PGP/GnuPG Key 1024D/EAF993D0 available from keyservers everywhere
or at http://members.optushome.com.au/tchur/pubkey.asc
Key fingerprint = 8C22 BF76 33BA B3B5 1D5B EB37 7891 46A9 EAF9 93D0

Irmen de Jong

Tim said:
Irmen, can you elucidate?

Hello Tim, I don't know that word, but I guess it means
something like "explain" or "elaborate". Here goes:

Jython has had (or still has) some problems that makes full
Pyro support impossible. For instance there is no "select"
like function in Jython (or rather, Java), and Pyro depends
on that for Pyro servers. So you're restricted to *clients*
in Jython: you can only call other Pyro objects, but you cannot
be called yourself.
Furthermore there were some bugs in Jython's implementation
that were triggered by certain Python code fragments in
Pyro, and I haven't really tried to work around them.
Dunno what Jython's up to at the moment, so YMMV.

Hope this helps,

Irmen de Jong

PS Jdk version 1.4 introduced a new IO API which I haven't
looked into yet, but from what I've heard and seen it should
now provide a 'select' like function. So maybe it is possible
to make Pyro work as a server on Jython too, but I haven't
adapted Pyro to do this yet.

Alan Kennedy

[Irmen de Jong]
Jython has had (or still has) some problems that makes full
Pyro support impossible. For instance there is no "select"
like function in Jython (or rather, Java), and Pyro depends
on that for Pyro servers. So you're restricted to *clients*
in Jython: you can only call other Pyro objects, but you cannot
be called yourself.

Irmen,

As you noted yourself at the bottom of your message, Java 1.4 supports
non-blocking IO and select calls.

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/nio/index.html

If you need some assistance with getting Pyro running server side in
Jython (java 1.4 only), get in touch with me.
Furthermore there were some bugs in Jython's implementation
that were triggered by certain Python code fragments in
Pyro, and I haven't really tried to work around them.
Dunno what Jython's up to at the moment, so YMMV.

Jython 2.1 is exceedingly stable, and extremely useful. There is a
comment on the jython.org page to the effect that "2.1 has become our
1.5.2".

If you have any specific problems getting stuff running with jython,
try me: I might be able to help.

regards,