Status of Python / Platform-specific support ??

Thomas Weholt

Hi,

I've been using Python on both Windows 2000 and Linux for some time now. On
Windows I've used PythonWin as editor, Emacs on Linux. This has been working
ok so far. Now as Python will be a part of Mac OS X Panther will this affect
Pythons support for platform-specific modules in a big way? I'm not a
Mac-expert, but OS X is basically a Unix-clone as base with a Apple-GUI on
top, right? So most *nix apps will compile and run nicely on that platform?
With Python as an integrated part of the system, I'd be seriously thinking
about changing platform.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what the current status is for Python on Mac,
as for support, IDEs etc. ? Is Mac shaping up to be the best platform for
Python development and python lovers in general, or is Mac just catching up
to Linux?

Any thoughts on platform benefits for python developers; Win32 vs. Linux vs.
Mac? Drawbacks?

Best regards,
Thomas W

Aahz

I've been using Python on both Windows 2000 and Linux for some time
now. On Windows I've used PythonWin as editor, Emacs on Linux. This
has been working ok so far. Now as Python will be a part of Mac OS X
Panther will this affect Pythons support for platform-specific modules
in a big way? I'm not a Mac-expert, but OS X is basically a Unix-clone
as base with a Apple-GUI on top, right? So most *nix apps will compile
and run nicely on that platform? With Python as an integrated part of
the system, I'd be seriously thinking about changing platform.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what the current status is for Python
on Mac, as for support, IDEs etc. ? Is Mac shaping up to be the best
platform for Python development and python lovers in general, or is Mac
just catching up to Linux?

That's tough to answer. For starters, Python 2.2 is already part of
10.2, but it's somewhat crippled (no Tkinter, and missing the critical
bugfixes of 2.2.1 and 2.2.2). Many Unix apps do compile easily, but
I've had trouble with a couple that aren't part of the Fink project (xli
and lrz/lsz). There are binary installers available for the Mac (see
the download pages on python.org).

I've been using Python on a Mac for more than a year now, because I
decided to get an iBook as my laptop, but my primary system is still a
Linux box, and I'm happier with that.

Cameron Laird

That's tough to answer. For starters, Python 2.2 is already part of
10.2, but it's somewhat crippled (no Tkinter, and missing the critical
bugfixes of 2.2.1 and 2.2.2). Many Unix apps do compile easily, but
I've had trouble with a couple that aren't part of the Fink project (xli
and lrz/lsz). There are binary installers available for the Mac (see
the download pages on python.org).

I've been using Python on a Mac for more than a year now, because I
decided to get an iBook as my laptop, but my primary system is still a
Linux box, and I'm happier with that.
.
.
.
Me, too.

'Bout two weeks ago, I picked up a PowerBook as my daily
desktop. There's a LOT I like about it. I still retreat
to Linux or WinNT for Tkinter work, or the latest Python
builds. Eventually I'll figure out enough about my new
home to make Tkinter work here, too.

'Figured out a mpack/munpack replacement, Aahz?

Anyway, no, I don't think anyone can imagine MacOS to be
the most natural Python platform, but it's getting closer.