Still the confusion is there ....

Madni

hi,
can any one please let me know whats the clear and stratight difference
between the most commonly used terms "SDK", "API", and "Library" .....
Regards,
Omer

Jim Langston

Madni said:
hi,
can any one please let me know whats the clear and stratight difference
between the most commonly used terms "SDK", "API", and "Library" .....
Regards,
Omer

SDK is "Software Development Kit". This is just something you need to get
to be able to use something in code. For example, Microsoft provides an SDK
for DirectX, which includes headers, libraries, manuals, tutorials, etc...

API is "Advanced Programming Interface". Advanced may not be the right word.
An API is just an interfact to call something, usually in a library.
Windows has lots of calls you make to APIs.

A Library is precompiled code. There are different types of libraries, with
different terms used on different OSes. There are runtime libraries and
static link libraries. Basically they are precompiled code that you link
your program to.

Evan

Jim said:
SDK is "Software Development Kit". This is just something you need to get
to be able to use something in code. For example, Microsoft provides an SDK
for DirectX, which includes headers, libraries, manuals, tutorials, etc...

API is "Advanced Programming Interface". Advanced may not be the right word.
An API is just an interfact to call something, usually in a library.
Windows has lots of calls you make to APIs.

*Application* programming interface.

I'll just add that I've heard sort of two uses of the word. (Two shades
of the same use might be a better description.) Sometimes you'll see it
used to refer to a collection of functions. For instance, the "Windows
API" is the set of C interfaces that MS defined to the Win32 subsystem.
There are also subsets of the Windows API that are referred to by other
names, like the File Management API. I've also heard it used to refer
to individual functions from said API, though this seems less common.
(In fact, that might have only been from MS.)

Evan

Madni

Thanks jim for taking out ur time and making the confusion clear....
Yes it is Application Programming Interface...
Regards

supersizeme1234567890

Madni said:
hi,
can any one please let me know whats the clear and stratight difference
between the most commonly used terms "SDK", "API", and "Library" .....
Regards,
Omer

I think API is shortened for Artificial Pig's Intelligence

Library is a Kamasutra of sex with each sections describing in details
how one should perform some specific tasks

I don't know about SDK :-( but I guess it might be something relating
to sexual diseases

benben

I think API is shortened for Artificial Pig's Intelligence
Library is a Kamasutra of sex with each sections describing in details
how one should perform some specific tasks

I don't know about SDK :-( but I guess it might be something relating
to sexual diseases

You may as well try to explain the namespace name for the standard C++
library.

Cough!

Ben

Marcus Kwok

Jim Langston said:
API is "Advanced Programming Interface". Advanced may not be the right word.

Application Programming Interface is how I've usually heard it.
A Library is precompiled code. There are different types of libraries, with
different terms used on different OSes. There are runtime libraries and
static link libraries. Basically they are precompiled code that you link
your program to.

I don't think a library necessarily needs to be precompiled. For
example, the Boost library comes in source/header form.

I would say that a library is a collection of related functions and/or
data types that are usually packaged together.

Old Wolf

Default said:
newsgroup, or the group FAQ list:

Top-posting was correct for that post. The message did not
relate to any particular part of the parent post, but was a
generalized comment on the whole thing. It was not
necessary to read the quotes in order to understand the
message.

Default User

Old said:
Top-posting was correct for that post.

No, it wasn't.
The message did not
relate to any particular part of the parent post, but was a
generalized comment on the whole thing.

Immaterial. If the entire content wasn't germane to the answer, it
should have been paraphrased or a small representative sample left to
give context.
It was not
necessary to read the quotes in order to understand the
message.

Then why include all?

Brian

Old Wolf

Immaterial. If the entire content wasn't germane to the answer, it
should have been paraphrased or a small representative sample left to
give context.

The entire content was suitable context.
Then why include all?

In case a reader is curious about what the message was replying
to, and doesn't have the original.

Old said:
The entire content was suitable context.

Nonsense. A small bit or a paraphrase would be much more appropriate.
You don't seriously expect people to read the entire quoted bit to
figure out what the reply meant, do you?
In case a reader is curious about what the message was replying
to, and doesn't have the original.

As I said, a small bit is more than adequate for a "thank you" message.

Brian