Straight ASP problem

Joe Coppola

Hi there.

I am having a weird problem. Currently I have a straight ASP page that
queries an Access database and returns the large recordset on a page that
loops through the recordset and writes the appropriate <td> tags in order to
put the data into a table. Now when I run it in my test environment it runs
no problem, however when I upload to my ISP I get a iis 500 error. But no
error on test server.

A few things: I have noticed that if I decrease the the number of
Response.Write and rstSearch.Fields("FIeldName") code lines that it works
ok on the ISP server.

Any ideas?

Joe

Brian Lowe

Part of the web configuration in IIS is the time allowed for a page to run.
If it goes beyond say 900 seconds IIS thinks it's hit an error and declares
a problem.

Another part of the configuration tells IIS what to do with errors; either
give an unhelpful 'an error occurred...' message or give full details to
help the developer figure out what went wrong. In a production environment
IIS is usually set to give no help to potential hackers.

It may simply be that having so many response.write lines in your page takes
too long to process. That would explain why removing some of them fixes the
problem.

Suggestions:

Increase the time-out period by alering the config on your IIS server.

Decrease the size of the recordset. Maybe use paging?

Brian Lowe
---------@

Joe Coppola

Brian,

Thanks for the reply. I too thought about the timeout setting, but
interestingly I changed the timeout setting on my test server to be like 1
second and I dont get the error, the page just doesnt finish loading
completely. Note I also set the timeout or ASP pages as well.

Is there a way to get a more complete error message?

You are correct the # of response lines is sort of the cause, and I have
thought of paging the results, however, I need the users to be able to
export the whole results to another program... any ideas of this?

Well thanks for the help.

Joe