Strange button / debugger behavior

Clamps

So I have an existing webform with about seven buttons. The buttons do a
variety of tasks ranging from the simple response.redirect to a database
connection & update. User requirements dictated that I add a checkbox with
an autopostback to handle the checkchanged event. So I did. Upon
recompilation, I find in testing that the buttons on the page do not cause
their button.click events to be handled. The buttons still cause a postback,
but the events are never handled. "What the hell?", I says to myself, insert
breakpoint on Button1.click and then F5. Debugger shows nothing amiss and
steps through all the event code, executes and everything is happily ever
after in Button1 land. So I'm thinking that this was one of the inexplicable
things that sometimes happen. I start the app w/out a debugger and find
Button2 causes a postback, but no event code is executed. Repeat chapter 1
and find that all the buttons cause postbacks, but event code not fired.
UNTIL, of course, I step through each button's event code, then and only
then, will code be executed. So I did the obvious... Scratch my head while
pressing F10 a thousand times for each button, then asked some fellow app
designers. Now we all have dandruff, a working app, and no idea what is
going on here.

Now I ask you, wonderous message board who knows all and answers all, taken
into account the recent plague of locusts and death of all our firstborn
children, what could this mean???

PS. We are running VS 02.