Strange ruby documentation ?!

Alin Popa

Hi,

I noticed soon something weird about Object documentation (in fact, one
of my colleagues saw it and he asked me what's the catch):

- Object class (http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/classes/Object.html) have
one method called to_yaml. Now, the funny thing is that when trying to
do that:

irb(main):001:0> a = "abc"
=> "abc"
irb(main):002:0> a.to_yaml
NoMethodError: undefined method `to_yaml' for "abc":String
from (irb):2
from :0

but after require 'yaml' everything is ok.

Ok, I know that yaml is placing this method to Object class when
required, but why is it by default documented in Object class ? What may
be the reason ?

Thanks.

James Britt

Alin said:
Ok, I know that yaml is placing this method to Object class when
required, but why is it by default documented in Object class ? What may
be the reason ?

It's the way rdoc currently works; it parses a set of files and rolls up
methods found for the various classes and modules it encounters. It is
not able to indicate from where a method originated or that certain
methods are provided on an object only when one or another module is
included.

--
James Britt

www.happycamperstudios.com - Wicked Cool Coding

Alin Popa

James said:
It's the way rdoc currently works; it parses a set of files and rolls up
methods found for the various classes and modules it encounters. It is
not able to indicate from where a method originated or that certain
methods are provided on an object only when one or another module is
included.

--
James Britt

www.happycamperstudios.com - Wicked Cool Coding