Strange table border colours

Bonnett

I've noticed that in Firefox/Netscape 6, if i specify the style:
..strange{ color: #F00; background: #FFF; }
and apply it to a table cell:
then I get a strange red line on the inside of the border.
If I use:
this doesn't appear, but IMO its using unecessary markup.

A test page can been seen at http://www.pete-b.co.uk/strangeTable.htm

I'm wondering, am I doing something wrong in specifying a font color to
a table cell.

This outline only appears in Firefox/Netscape (I have tested it on
FF1.0 and NN6 along with IE6).

Bonnett

Steve Pugh

I've noticed that in Firefox/Netscape 6, if i specify the style:
.strange{ color: #F00; background: #FFF; }
and apply it to a table cell:
then I get a strange red line on the inside of the border.
If I use:
this doesn't appear, but IMO its using unecessary markup.

A test page can been seen at http://www.pete-b.co.uk/strangeTable.htm

I'm wondering, am I doing something wrong in specifying a font color to
a table cell.

Your table cells have a border. But you haven't specified a border-color
for the border so the browser uses the color of the element as the
border-color.
This outline only appears in Firefox/Netscape (I have tested it on
FF1.0 and NN6 along with IE6).

No it appears in Opera as well.

Steve

Toby Inkster

Steve said:
No it appears in Opera as well.

It doesn't, but it you replace the HTML "border=1" with the equivalent CSS:

table { border: 1px outset; }
td { border: 1px inset; }

then it does.

It seems Opera has different rendering paths for table "border=1" and CSS
borders.