Strange thing with "this" pointer

piotr.korzeniewski

I'm really confused with this one, first please take a look at code
below:

function Class(obj)
{
if(!obj) obj = new Object();

obj.Extend = function(obj) {
this.__parent__ = new Object();

for(p in this) {
this.__parent__[p] = this[p];
}

for(p in obj) {
this[p] = obj[p];
}

return this;
}

return obj;
}

function A()
{
return Class({ name : "Class A" })
}

function B()
{
return A().Extend({ name : "Class B" });
}

function C()
{
return B().Extend({ name : "Class C" });
}

var a = A();
var b = B();
var c = C();

alert(b.__parent__.name);

Alright, this code is quite simple but one thing is really confusing -
it should alert "Class A" and it does in Internet Explorer and Opera,
but strangly in Firefox it alerts "Class B".. But what's even more
confusing - if I remove line "var c = C()", Firefox magically alerts
"Class A". What in the world has line "var c = C()" to do with "var b
= B()" ? The only thing that comes to my mind is this part of code:

[...]
this.__parent__ = new Object();

for(p in this) {
this.__parent__[p] = this[p];
}
[...]

But why does it works well in Internet Explorer and Opera? It doesn't
make any sense..

Thanks for any help!

Richard Cornford

I'm really confused with this one, first please take a look at code
below:

function Class(obj)
{
if(!obj) obj = new Object();

obj.Extend = function(obj) {
this.__parent__ = new Object();
Alright, this code is quite simple but one thing is really confusing -
it should alert "Class A" and it does in Internet Explorer and Opera,
but strangly in Firefox it alerts "Class B".
<snip>

Objects in JavaScript(tm) have a non-standard extension property called
"__parent__", which is probably read only. Your use of that name in your
code is probably causing a naming collision and unexpected results in
browsers suing JavaScript(tm).

Richard.