String formatting

Shastri

Hi,

Does any one know how to increase/decrease the size of the charcters in
a string, bolding the string , italicizing the string??
Are there any special functions in C to do that? Is there a way to do
it by writing our own functions? If there is can you suggest me how
to??

Thanks
Sastry

santosh

Shastri said:
Hi,

Does any one know how to increase/decrease the size of the charcters in
a string, bolding the string , italicizing the string??
Are there any special functions in C to do that? Is there a way to do
it by writing our own functions? If there is can you suggest me how
to??

These are features concerning fonts, not C type chars, which is what
you'll use hold strings. There is no way you can do what you're asking
in Standard C.

Brand Bogard

Shastri said:
Hi,

Does any one know how to increase/decrease the size of the charcters in
a string, bolding the string , italicizing the string??
Are there any special functions in C to do that? Is there a way to do
it by writing our own functions? If there is can you suggest me how
to??

Thanks
Sastry

Your problem sounds like it should be posted to a newsgroup dealing with the
OS you are developing for There is no font functionality in the C standard
that I know of so channging the font metrics, bolding and italicizing would
need to be handled by some kind of font package or library.

Andrew Poelstra

Your problem sounds like it should be posted to a newsgroup dealing with the
OS you are developing for There is no font functionality in the C standard
that I know of so channging the font metrics, bolding and italicizing would
need to be handled by some kind of font package or library.

The OP reminds me of Dilbert's boss insisting that he "fax it on green
paper". A string (which in C is a null-terminated array of char) has no
idea how it is displayed (if at all), any more than a faxed document knows
what color paper it will be output on.

Keith Thompson

Andrew Poelstra said:
The OP reminds me of Dilbert's boss insisting that he "fax it on green
paper". A string (which in C is a null-terminated array of char) has no
idea how it is displayed (if at all), any more than a faxed document knows
what color paper it will be output on.

It's entirely possible to encode color and font information in a
string. For example, the content of the string might be HTML rather
than plain text. But the manner in which this information is encoded
(if it's there at all), and the manner in which you indicate whether
the string is to be interpreted as plain text, as HTML, or whatever,
is entirely beyond the scope of the language, and of this newsgroup.