Suds and Python3

tokibito

Suds is defacto python SOAP client, but it does not mainte recent few years. Why?

I want to use SOAP and Python3. How do it?

Paul McNett

Suds is defacto python SOAP client, but it does not mainte recent few years. Why?

Is it really the defacto? It seems like I've heard more about
pysimplesoap, and looking at GitHub there have been commits in the past
4 days.

As far as why it hasn't been maintained, you could write and ask the
authors directly.

In general, SOAP has been falling out of favor over the past half decade
at least because of its relative heaviness next to, e.g. RESTful web
services usually using JSON instead of XML. Way, way simpler and more
fun to do.

That said, SOAP will be around for a long time and if you need to do it,
you want a good library for it.

I don't have direct experience, but I did do cursory reviews of a
handful of the SOAP libaries listed here in the python wiki:

https://wiki.python.org/moin/WebServices

And from what I can tell without actually trying any of them,
pysimplesoap feels like the best option currently.
I want to use SOAP and Python3. How do it?

If it were me, I'd install each of the libraries listed on the wiki page
and make a matrix of features desired, make up a suite of unit tests to
test those features, and then run each of them through the suite to see
how they stack up. Also consider how "alive" the project is, and how the
project's bug tracker is maintained, look at their forum, etc.

Paul

Burak Arslan

Hello,

First, for such questions, there's always (e-mail address removed)

The original authors don't seem to care anymore. If you search PyPi
you'll see that there are many suds forks as a result. See e.g.
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/suds-jurko/0.6

This was a popular topic during past month:
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/soap/2014-May/thread.html
Is it really the defacto? It seems like I've heard more about
pysimplesoap, and looking at GitHub there have been commits in the
past 4 days.

Yes, suds is really the de facto soap client for python. I'd even
dropped the soap client in Spyne years ago in favor of suds. Seeing
suds' current situation though, I'm more and more tempted to sit home
one weekend and bring it back.
In general, SOAP has been falling out of favor over the past half
decade at least because of its relative heaviness next to, e.g.
RESTful web services usually using JSON instead of XML. Way, way
simpler and more fun to do.

Xml also has its strengths. Especially compared to json, which only
supports 6 types: string, number, dict, list, boolean (true/false) and
null. Json gets hairy very fast even when you try to do seemingly simple
things like serializing arbitrary precision decimals.
And from what I can tell without actually trying any of them,
pysimplesoap feels like the best option currently.

Not really, there are other options. See the discussions in the above link.

Best,
Burak