Sun compiled bytecode running on IBM's VM?

Alex Hunsley

I'm well aware that bytecode is supposed to be completely portable, but
I'm having trouble running some java on IBM's JVM. (version 1.3.1, and
upgrade isn't an option at the minute). Some of the java classes were
compiled on Sun's JVM, has anyone ever had experience of running into
problems as a result of running Sun created bytecode on an IBM JVM?

(The problem is that I get javacore dumps - complete crash out - when
execute the code on IBM JVM. The java uses native libraries via JNI
which seems to have something to do with the situation.)

thanks
alex

Ben_

I'd blame the VM or the JNI module for crashing, rather than bytecode.
Ensure the two JVMs you're working with have the same fixes. There have been
fixes in JRE 1.3.1 for JNI crashes in the VM.

On the other hand, the core dumps should help you locate the guilty
component and determine if it is in the JVM or the JNI modules.

Alex Hunsley

Ben_ said:
I'd blame the VM or the JNI module for crashing, rather than bytecode.
Ensure the two JVMs you're working with have the same fixes. There have been
fixes in JRE 1.3.1 for JNI crashes in the VM.

Good point.
On the other hand, the core dumps should help you locate the guilty
component and determine if it is in the JVM or the JNI modules.
I've looked at the core dumps and the crash always seems to involve a
call the native code via JNI.
The same code works fine under sun's jvm1.3.1, and dies under IBMs
jvm1.3.1, all on the very same system.

alex

Ben_

I've looked at the core dumps and the crash always seems to involve a
call the native code via JNI.
You should then be able to identify if it is something from IBM, SUN or
third-party.

What OS is it ?

Alex Hunsley

Ben_ said:
You should then be able to identify if it is something from IBM, SUN or
third-party.

What OS is it ?
RedHat, a recent version, can't remember if it's 8 or 9.
alex

Alex Hunsley

Alex said:
RedHat, a recent version, can't remember if it's 8 or 9.
alex

...although the ultimate target system is an AIX. And I get the javacore
dumping problem with both OSs (that are running the IBM JVM).
alex

winbatch

Make sure the shared objects you are using for the JNI have been properly
compiled on AIX.

Alex Hunsley

winbatch said:
Make sure the shared objects you are using for the JNI have been properly
compiled on AIX.

What does "properly" mean in this case?
Forget AIX for the moment, the IBM JNI code doesn't even work on a linux
box running IBM JVM, and we have definitely recompiled the shared object
properly for that platform.

alex

p.s. can you please not toppost?
http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

Ben_

I was getting disappointed with you searching for an AIX JRE and telling me
you were running on RedHat :).

Alex Hunsley

Ben_ said:
I was getting disappointed with you searching for an AIX JRE and telling me
you were running on RedHat :).
Ah, I see, sorry for the confusion :)
Bottom line is, it doesn't work on either platforms when IBM JVM is
involved.
alex