Synthesis of VHDL RTL including recursive functions

gpi5

Hi

When a VHDL module with recursive functions is synthetised, what is
exactly happening?
The result is available during the same clock cycle, so I would expect the
synthesis tool to translate the recursive nature of the algorithm into a
'spacial' algorithm (e.g. if the recusion has a depth of 10, then there
will be 10 'stages' on the silicon). Am I totally wrong here?

Where can I find further details on that?
Thanks,
gil