System.IO.IOException: Cannot create a file when that file already exists.

Chad Crowder

Getting the following error on my production server whether the file exists
or not:

"System.IO.IOException: Cannot create a file when that file already exists."

Here's the code generating the error (seems to be happening when I try
creating a directory)

If dirmgr.Exists("s:\blah\" & txt_name.Text) Then
lblerror.Text = lblerror.Text & "Unable to build physical path. " &
txt_name.Text & " & Contact Dev Team.<BR>"
Else
dirmgr.CreateDirectory("s:\blah\" & txt_name.Text)

This code runs fine on my development server (only the path is c:\blah\blah
instead of S). Also, my production server has failover cluser, and the s
drive is the failover drive. I can't imagine that could be a problem, but
thought I would mention it.

Asside from that, the only other thing I can think of is that the framework
version on my dev box says 1.1, and the one on my production server says:
1.0.37 - surely that's not the cause is it? Permissions shouldn't be an
issue (i've even tried as domain admin)

I would appreciate any help on this, as I'm out of ideas, and can find no
other documentation on this.
- Chad

Natty Gur

Hi,

the default user that runs web application (system) don’t has rights to
access network resources.

Natty Gur, CTO
Dao2Com Ltd.
34th Elkalay st. Raanana
Israel , 43000
Phone Numbers:
Office: +972-(0)9-7740261
Fax: +972-(0)9-7740261
Mobile: +972-(0)58-888377

[MSFT]Allen

I agree with Natty. The problem you are having is most likely caused by
having no right to access network resources. Willy address a similar
problem before. See
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=System.IO.IOException+asp.net&start=10&hl=
en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=OELVHLBNCHA.2460%40tkmsftngp04&rnum=20.

HTH,
-Allen

Disclaimer:
Got .Net? http://www.gotdotnet.com

--------------------
| From: "Chad Crowder" <[email protected]>
| Subject: System.IO.IOException: Cannot create a file when that file
already exists.
| Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 17:08:27 -0400
|
| Getting the following error on my production server whether the file
exists
| or not:
|
| "System.IO.IOException: Cannot create a file when that file already
exists."

| Here's the code generating the error (seems to be happening when I try
| creating a directory)
|
| If dirmgr.Exists("s:\blah\" & txt_name.Text) Then
| lblerror.Text = lblerror.Text & "Unable to build physical path. "
&
| txt_name.Text & " & Contact Dev Team.<BR>"
| Else
| dirmgr.CreateDirectory("s:\blah\" & txt_name.Text)
|
| This code runs fine on my development server (only the path is
c:\blah\blah
| instead of S). Also, my production server has failover cluser, and the s
| drive is the failover drive. I can't imagine that could be a problem, but
| thought I would mention it.
|
| Asside from that, the only other thing I can think of is that the
framework
| version on my dev box says 1.1, and the one on my production server says:
| 1.0.37 - surely that's not the cause is it? Permissions shouldn't be an
| issue (i've even tried as domain admin)
|
| I would appreciate any help on this, as I'm out of ideas, and can find no
| other documentation on this.
| - Chad

Chad Crowder

Thanks for the response.

I understand that, but I'm trying to create a directory on the local drive.
This isn't a mapped share. The drive is physically present on the web
server, and if that web server fails, the other system physically takes over
the drive (ie, a cluster). I've also added the local ASPNET account to the
NTFS permissions on the folder, and it still fails.

- Chad

Chad Crowder

It doesn't work creating folders under the same directory as the web
application... same issue.

I'm going to try figuring out why that server is showing that it's running
version 1.03 of the dotnet framework. It shows that v1.1 was installed.

Thanks,
Chad

[MSFT]Allen said:
Try creating a directory in your code under the folder where your web
application resides. Does it works? In addition, you may want to verify the
account your web application is running under. Please download tokedump
written by Keith Brown from
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/01/11/security/default.aspx. It
would show you what account the application is running under.

-Allen

Disclaimer:
Got .Net? http://www.gotdotnet.com

--------------------
| From: "Chad Crowder" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: System.IO.IOException: Cannot create a file when that file
already exists.
| Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 08:11:44 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Thanks for the response.
|
| I understand that, but I'm trying to create a directory on the local
drive.
| This isn't a mapped share. The drive is physically present on the web
| server, and if that web server fails, the other system physically takes
over
| the drive (ie, a cluster). I've also added the local ASPNET account to
the
| NTFS permissions on the folder, and it still fails.
|
| - Chad
|

| | > I agree with Natty. The problem you are having is most likely caused by
| > having no right to access network resources. Willy address a similar
| > problem before. See

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=System.IO.IOException+asp.net&start=10&hl=
| > en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=OELVHLBNCHA.2460%40tkmsftngp04&rnum=20.
| >
| > HTH,
| > -Allen
| >
| > Disclaimer:
| rights.
| > Got .Net? http://www.gotdotnet.com
| >
| > --------------------
| > | From: "Chad Crowder" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: System.IO.IOException: Cannot create a file when that file
| > already exists.
| > | Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 17:08:27 -0400
| > |
| > | Getting the following error on my production server whether the file
| > exists
| > | or not:
| > |
| > | "System.IO.IOException: Cannot create a file when that file already
| > exists."
| > |
| > | Here's the code generating the error (seems to be happening when I try
| > | creating a directory)
| > |
| > | If dirmgr.Exists("s:\blah\" & txt_name.Text) Then
| > | lblerror.Text = lblerror.Text & "Unable to build physical
path.
| "
| > &
| > | txt_name.Text & " & Contact Dev Team.<BR>"
| > | Else
| > | dirmgr.CreateDirectory("s:\blah\" & txt_name.Text)
| > |
| > | This code runs fine on my development server (only the path is
| > c:\blah\blah
| > | instead of S). Also, my production server has failover cluser, and
the
| > | drive is the failover drive. I can't imagine that could be a problem,
| but
| > | thought I would mention it.
| > |
| > | Asside from that, the only other thing I can think of is that the
| > framework
| > | version on my dev box says 1.1, and the one on my production server
| says:
| > | 1.0.37 - surely that's not the cause is it? Permissions shouldn't be
an
| > | issue (i've even tried as domain admin)
| > |
| > | I would appreciate any help on this, as I'm out of ideas, and can find
| no
| > | other documentation on this.
| > | - Chad
| > |
| > |
| > |

[MSFT]Allen

Chad, was the problem resolved? It seems that you installed both v1.03 and
v1.1 on the same web server. If so, it might be helpful to look at the
article "Compatibility Considerations and Version Changes" on
http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/changeinfo/default.aspx. Try configuring your
web application to run V1.03 and V1.1 specifically to see how it works.

-Allen

Disclaimer:
Got .Net? http://www.gotdotnet.com

--------------------
| From: "Chad Crowder" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: System.IO.IOException: Cannot create a file when that file
already exists.
| Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 01:16:22 -0400
|

| It doesn't work creating folders under the same directory as the web
| application... same issue.
|
| I'm going to try figuring out why that server is showing that it's running
| version 1.03 of the dotnet framework. It shows that v1.1 was installed.
|
| Thanks,
| Chad
|
| | > Try creating a directory in your code under the folder where your web
| > application resides. Does it works? In addition, you may want to verify
| the
| > account your web application is running under. Please download tokedump
| > written by Keith Brown from
| > http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/01/11/security/default.aspx. It
| > would show you what account the application is running under.
| >
| > -Allen
| >
| > Disclaimer:
| rights.
| > Got .Net? http://www.gotdotnet.com
| >
| > --------------------
| > | From: "Chad Crowder" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: System.IO.IOException: Cannot create a file when that
file
| > already exists.
| > | Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 08:11:44 -0400
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| > |
| > | Thanks for the response.
| > |
| > | I understand that, but I'm trying to create a directory on the local
| > drive.
| > | This isn't a mapped share. The drive is physically present on the
web
| > | server, and if that web server fails, the other system physically
takes
| > over
| > | the drive (ie, a cluster). I've also added the local ASPNET account
| > the
| > | NTFS permissions on the folder, and it still fails.
| > |
| > | - Chad
| > |
| > |
| by

| > |

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=System.IO.IOException+asp.net&start=10&hl=

en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=OELVHLBNCHA.2460%40tkmsftngp04&rnum=20.

| > | rights.

| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| try
| > | > |
| > path.
| > | "
| > | > |
| > the
| problem,
| > | but
| > | > |
| > | says:
| be
| > an
| > | > |
| find
| > | no
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |
| > |

Chad Crowder

Allen,

Thanks for the followup. I actually got my program working late last night.
The problem was the framework version.

I tried simply configuring the web application to use version 1.1, but that
didn't help. I also tried uninstalling then reinstalling framework version
1.1, but that also didn't get IIS to start using version 1.1 by default. I
consequently uninstalled versions 1.1 *and* version 1.03, then only
reinstalled version 1.1 again, and this took care of the problem.

Thanks again for all the help everyone!

- Chad

[MSFT]Allen said:
Chad, was the problem resolved? It seems that you installed both v1.03 and
v1.1 on the same web server. If so, it might be helpful to look at the
article "Compatibility Considerations and Version Changes" on
http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/changeinfo/default.aspx. Try configuring your
web application to run V1.03 and V1.1 specifically to see how it works.

-Allen

Disclaimer:
Got .Net? http://www.gotdotnet.com

--------------------
| From: "Chad Crowder" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: System.IO.IOException: Cannot create a file when that file
already exists.
| Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 01:16:22 -0400
|

| It doesn't work creating folders under the same directory as the web
| application... same issue.
|
| I'm going to try figuring out why that server is showing that it's running
| version 1.03 of the dotnet framework. It shows that v1.1 was installed.
|
| Thanks,
| Chad
|
| | > Try creating a directory in your code under the folder where your web
| > application resides. Does it works? In addition, you may want to verify
| the
| > account your web application is running under. Please download tokedump
| > written by Keith Brown from
| > http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/01/11/security/default.aspx. It
| > would show you what account the application is running under.
| >
| > -Allen
| >
| > Disclaimer:
| rights.
| > Got .Net? http://www.gotdotnet.com
| >
| > --------------------
| > | From: "Chad Crowder" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: System.IO.IOException: Cannot create a file when that
file
| > already exists.
| > | Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 08:11:44 -0400
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| > |
| > | Thanks for the response.
| > |
| > | I understand that, but I'm trying to create a directory on the local
| > drive.
| > | This isn't a mapped share. The drive is physically present on the
web
| > | server, and if that web server fails, the other system physically
takes
| > over
| > | the drive (ie, a cluster). I've also added the local ASPNET account
| > the
| > | NTFS permissions on the folder, and it still fails.
| > |
| > | - Chad
| > |
| > |
| by

| > |

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=System.IO.IOException+asp.net&start=10&hl=

en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=OELVHLBNCHA.2460%40tkmsftngp04&rnum=20.

| > | rights.

| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| try
| > | > |
| > path.
| > | "
| > | > |
| > the
| problem,
| > | but
| > | > |
| > | says:
| be
| > an
| > | > |
| find
| > | no
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |
| > |

Joined
Oct 14, 2009
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
i am getting this error "Cannot create a file when that file already exists." when trying to execute the following code in c#...

Directory.CreateDirectory("D:\\website\Folder1");

Directory.Move("D:\\website\Folder", "D:\\website\Folder1");

Directory.Delete("D:\\website\Folder");

i want to copy the contect of the "folder" to "folder1" than delete the existing folder when i executed and traced the code its created the folder but when move the file its throughing the exception that "Cannot create a file when that file already exists.\r\w"

please help me out.....