System Package Handling

Rick

Hi,
We've been using the pkg-get utility in our Solaris environment (Like
it's used on Sun Freeware). It's basically a Sun Package management
system that uses wget and distributed catalog files. You can do various
commands to display the currently installed packages, compare what's
installed with updates on the server, etc. It's written in ksh.
I like the format, but would really like to see it ported across
different Unix architectures....We've currently have it in cron and can
update our perl distribution across 200 servers pretty easily.
I'm not looking for something to build packages as I think epm does
that pretty well...What I'm really looking for is a standard interface
to each of the different system package handlers (i.e pkgadd, rpm,
apt-get,etc).
Perhaps someone has already wrote something or thought of this. But,
what I was thinking of was a similar interface to package handling as
DBI is to DBD. So, just as DBI is an independent Database interface, so
would <insert module here> and have different DBD type drivers to each
systems Package handlers...
So, has someone done this already? Haven't heard of any...although I
see modules for dealing directly with rpm....

Regards,
Rick