Table Border/Resize ?

WJ

I have an Asp.Net form that hosts a "static form", a health history form,
this form is complex because it has uneven columns on different lines.
Example 1st line has 3 columns, 2nd line has 2 and 3rd line has 5. The form
and its colums/box must have black border around them. I am using Html Table
control for this purpose but it does not look good, especially when one
column hosts another table, the border lines would be doubled and it is just
a mess. Do you have any other controls that hanlde this type of form ? Also,
when a nested table exists, it leaves a big gap at the bottom that I cannot
resize (freezed) or close it up to touch the bottom of the inner table.

My goal is to find a layout control that has the same capabilities of
MS/Excel Cell format.

Thanks for your assistance,

John Webb

Martin Eyles

Sounds like you are trying to use merged cells. This can actually be rowspan
and colspan properties of the <td> and <th> tags. For more info see:-

http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/tables.html#h-11.2.6.1

If multiple borders are a problem, then you can remove them with
stylesheets. See this link:-
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/tables.html

Alternatively, you can get rid of tables completely and use <div> tags, with
absolute position, left, right, width and height set in stylesheets. (this
is in fact what visual studio .net grid-layout does by default). Only
problem is, this won't re-flow like the above might.

HTH,
ME

WJ

Thanks Martin, they are great links. But for futur? Right now I have to just
deal with it one line at a time instead of nested tables to get b?

John

Martin Eyles

No problem. Can't understand the second bit of your message though. what is
b?

Merry Christmass,

ME

WJ

Sorry,

The meaning of my reply was: I will learn these links in the future when I
have time. Right now I have no time to learn because of project deadline, so
what I did was to use the Web.Panel layout control (one at a time), then
copy that panel into a one row/one column table (html table), it seems to
work as expected, though not perfect.

BTW: My keyboard needs to be tossed: futur?=future and b?=by. For some odd
reasons, when I press a character, it translated into a "?". Weird :) and
happen only for certain letters on the keyboard.

Merry Christmas

John