tables without spaces

Faux_Pseudo

I am trying to create a table where the second row lines up with the
first withou any spacing between:

cellpadding="0"><tbody><tr><td cellpadding="0"
style="vertical-align: top;" colspan=2><tt><h3><pre>
(( //
( ) ( )</td></tr>
||/<a href="foo.html/">____/abcef/</a>________________|
||/<a href="bar.html">_____/abcdefgh/</a>____________|
`=___________________________='

In elinks (my main browser) this works fine and we see:

(( //
( ) ( )
||/___/fauxascii.com/_________|
||/____/abcef/________________|
||/_____/abcdefgh/____________|
`=___________________________='

But in firefox (and who knows what it looks like in IE) we see this:

(( //
( ) ( )

||/___/fauxascii.com/_________|
||/____/abcef/________________|
||/_____/abcdefgh/____________|
`=___________________________='

Does anyone know of a way to get it to display like the first example?

Nik Coughin

Faux_Pseudo said:
I am trying to create a table where the second row lines up with the
first withou any spacing between:
(snip)

Firstly, your html is hideously malformed. Closing tags missing etc. This
is probably happening because you didn't close the first <pre> tag so it is
inserting line breaks from further in your code into your page (because it
thinks you still want to preserve white space as you haven't closed the tag
yet). You are getting different results in different browsers because they
each handle malformed code differently.

Secondly, why on Earth are you marking this up as a table? It's a strange
use of a table if you ask me, especially as you could have just done:

<pre>
(( //
( ) ( )
`=___________________________='
</pre>

Which works perfectly in Firefox, IE, etc.

Faux_Pseudo

_.-In alt.html, Nik Coughin wrote the following -._

Testing shows that closing the first said:
Secondly, why on Earth are you marking this up as a table? It's a strange
use of a table if you ask me, especially as you could have just done:

Because I am creating an ascii-art layout for the pages that will look
something like this:

/_________________________ ________________ ___________ )______
// ____ ____ )) )) //_______ )
// | __) | _ \ (( Ascii // // \\
// () | |__ | |_) | () \\ Photo (( Linux (( Site News\\
(( | __) | __/ )) Beer_Plants )) Porto \\ ))
\\ () | | ____ | | () // Mushrooms // Food )) //
)) |_| (____)|_| ((_____________// //________//
// )) ( :F_P: ( __________)
// // \__________)
(( ((
( ) ( )
||/___/fauxascii.com/________|| Page body.
||/____/photo/_______________||
||/_____/cemetery/___________||
||/______across_from_elmwood/||
||/______elmwood/____________||
||/______new_york/___________||
||/______newtown-rd/_________||
`=___________________________='

Everything "Page body" will be more or less the same on each page.
Everything to the left of it will fluctuate based on the current
possition on the site. In the area of "Page body" will be the actual
content for the page.
The only way I can see to script this for automated updates is via a table.

.----------------.
| banner |
|links| body |
| | |

But for the banner to line up with the link there has to be no spacing.
Which, as mentioned, works find in a text browser but doesn't want to
work in Firefox.

dorayme

From: Faux_Pseudo said:
/_________________________ ________________ ___________ )______
// ____ ____ )) )) //_______ )
// | __) | _ \ (( Ascii // // \\
// () | |__ | |_) | () \\ Photo (( Linux (( Site News\\
(( | __) | __/ )) Beer_Plants )) Porto \\ ))
\\ () | | ____ | | () // Mushrooms // Food )) //
)) |_| (____)|_| ((_____________// //________//
// )) ( :F_P: ( __________)
// // \__________)
(( ((
( ) ( )
||/___/fauxascii.com/________|| Page body.
||/____/photo/_______________||
||/_____/cemetery/___________||
||/______across_from_elmwood/||
||/______elmwood/____________||
||/______new_york/___________||
||/______newtown-rd/_________||
`=___________________________='
.----------------.
| banner |
|links| body |
| | |
.-')) fauxascii.com ('-. | It's a damn poor mind that
' ..- .:" ) ( ":. -.. ' | can only think of one way to
((,,_;'.;' UIN=66618055 ';. ';_,,)) | spell a word.
((_.YIM=Faux_Pseudo :._)) | - Andrew Jackson

You are a genius. Seriously! I admire anyone who can do this ascii art stuff
so well. I just want you to know this right now. Also an excellent
motivating factor for becoming an expert in tables! We will all come to you
with table questions after you have sorted this out...

dorayme

Faux_Pseudo

_.-In alt.html, dorayme wrote the following -._
We will all come to you
with table questions after you have sorted this out...

If you or anyone else knows of a better way to accomplish what I want
to do then please let me know. Tables are what I know so that is what
I have been building this on.

Nik Coughin

Faux_Pseudo said:
_.-In alt.html, dorayme wrote the following -._

If you or anyone else knows of a better way to accomplish what I want
to do then please let me know. Tables are what I know so that is what
I have been building this on.

I like what you are doing, I have a fondness for ascii. If I get some time
I will have a play and post back here with the results.