Team Development

C Downey

What is the best way in VS7 to work with multiple developers on the same
project ? We don't have source save and can't get it.
Should each developer use the same Projectname.vbproj file on the server or
should each developer have a local copy that gets synchronized with the
webserver ?

what settings should we have in our project properties (we use a common
namespace, but it screws up if the next developer does changes to the files
and compiles. Very often our global.asax file throws an error and sometimes
the namespace gets duplicated in the aspx. file on the first line eg:
Portal.Portal.Classname
Should we precompiled our classes only and use src="filenam.aspx", or
recompile the whole project every time?
All our VB code sits in the vb. file, and some of it is precompiled classes,
no vb code in the aspx files.

TIA

Kevin Spencer

Regardless of whether you use Visual SourceSafe or not, the requirement is
still the same: You don't want 2 people working on the same code at the same
time. However you manage that is up to you. I would recommend getting VSS!

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Mark

Hi, what I have done in the past is use OOP design. Get each person working
on a different part of the functionality. One person works on the database
classes, another works on form functionality, another works on presentation
layer etc.

Build each of the above components in a different project (So each person is
working on their own project) and then combine them into a master project by
referencing each of the dll libraries in the new master project.

Obviously you cannot just sit down and start hacking out code with the above
approach. It is important that the database guy knows what attributes to
expect from the form funtionality component etc but I have found that it
works wonders :)

Just another idea
Cheers
Mark

Rimu Atkinson

Hi, what I have done in the past is use OOP design. Get each person
working
on a different part of the functionality. One person works on the database
classes, another works on form functionality, another works on presentation
layer etc.

or, at the very least make sure that people work on different pages of the
site... and break the database access class up into a few seperate classes,
e.g. CustomersDB and OrdersDB.

that only works on medium sized projects with small teams... anything larger
and some sort of formal system (eg VSS as mentioned earlier) would be
helpful.

C Downey

Thanks - Should each member create their own vbproj file or should we all
work off the same one?