    find ajax stuff etc. If we delete the directory, then the site will work
    again.

    Is their anyway to prevent this from happening.

    Chuck, Jun 9, 2009

  2. Hi,

    This is Thomas Sun from MSDN managed newsgroup. I will assist you with this
    case.

    From your description, I understand that you got some error messages
    related to "Temporary ASP.NET Files" after you tried to use Web Deployment
    project to deploy ASP.NET website sometime, and these issues were resolved
    after deleting "Temporary ASP.NET Files" folder. If I have misunderstood
    you, please feel free to let me know.

    The "%SystemRoot%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\versionNumber\Temporary ASP.NET
    Files" is default folder where the compiler creates assemblies for all
    executable output and places them for ASP.NET dynamic compilation. When
    the request arrives, ASP.NET will load assembly from this location. For
    more information about understanding ASP.NET Dynamic Compilation, see
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms366723(VS.80).aspx

    Web Deployment project just takes an existing ASP.NET website as input and
    generates a precompiled website as output. When we build Web Deployment
    project, the new version compiled website will be created in "Temporary
    ASP.NET Files" folder too.

    In this case, the error message is from which version: the one deployed
    using Web Deployment project or the one running from Visual Studio.

    To better understand your issue, please also post the exact error message
    here or the reproduce steps if possible.

    I look forward to hearing from you.

    --
    Best Regards,
    Thomas Sun

    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    ications.

    With newsgroups, MSDN subscribers enjoy unlimited, free support as opposed
    to the limited number of phone-based technical support incidents. Complex
    issues or server-down situations are not recommended for the newsgroups.
    Issues of this nature are best handled working with a Microsoft Support
    Engineer using one of your phone-based incidents.

    --------------------

    Thomas Sun [MSFT], Jun 10, 2009

  3. Chuck

    Chuck Guest

    The errors are somewhat random but usually involve some sort of missing dll.

    Could not load type 'Perform.dcPerforMDataContext' or can not find version
    3.01.2.0 of the dll.

    I don't think the error messages have any thing to do with the problem.
    What they show is that the asp.net process is trying to use the cached
    files, not the ones that were changed and redeployed.

    The problem remains is I can not reliably do an automated deployment because
    IIS is using out of date cached files.

    Chuck, Jun 10, 2009
  4. Hi Chuck,

    Thanks for your response. Your information is helpful. Base on my
    experience, the issue has nothing to do with your ASP.NET application.

    To troubleshoot such issue, we need to confirm the following information:

    #1. What version .Net Framework you are using? Please make sure your .Net
    Framework has latest service package, special the FIX on
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934839

    #2. Please set the batch attribute to false of compilation Element in
    web.config. This will enforce ASP.NET to compile individual files into
    separate assemblies dynamically to avoid reference issue.
    =============
    <system.web>
    <compilation debug="false" batch="false"></compilation>
    </system.web>
    =============
    For more information about batch attribute, see
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/s10awwz0(VS.80).aspx

    #3. Sometimes, anti-virus software can affect the file generated in that
    location. For instance, it updates or removes the file from "Temporary
    ASP.NET Files" folder. So if there is such program on your server, you can
    try to configure anti-virus software to eliminate the possibility that
    anti-virus software causes the problem. For security, please pay more
    attention on it.

    I will continue doing test locally and inform you if I find more things on
    this issue. You also can send me a simplified package that can repro the
    error on your machine. My email is .

    I look forward to receiving your test results.

    Thomas Sun [MSFT], Jun 11, 2009
  5. Chuck

    Chuck Guest

    The framework we have installed is 2.0.50727 and 3.5 sp1
    The 64bit versions.

    We use WebDeployment projects, so I think the debug="false" and the
    batch="false" statements in the web.config are ignored.

    In the WebDeployment project their is a switch for "Allow this precompiled
    site to be updateable". This option specifies that all program code is
    compiled into assemblies, but that .aspx files (including single-file ASP.NET
    Web pages) are copied as-is to the target folder. Enables ASP.NET Web pages
    and user controls (.aspx and .ascx files) to be updated after compilation;
    only the code-behind files are compiled. If this option is not checked, the
    HTML markup for pages and controls is removed and compiled into the assembly
    output.

    For performance reasons, we also set the Output Assemblies option to:
    "Merge all outputs to a single assembly"

    Chuck, Jun 12, 2009
  6. Hi Chuck,

    Do you select this option "Allow this precompiled site to be updateable"
    while precompiling? If it is enabled, ASP.NET will perform further
    compilation when the site runs the first time.

    In this case, if we don't need to change the layout of page on server, I
    recommend you un-select that option. If we do so, ASP.NET won't perform
    compilation again on server.

    I am configuring the environment closing to yours and want to see whether I
    can repro the issue. If you have time, could you please send me a
    simplified package that can repro it on your machine? My email address is
    .

    --
    Best Regards,
    Thomas Sun

    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    ->

    Thomas Sun [MSFT], Jun 15, 2009
  7. Chuck

    Chuck Guest

    Chuck, Jun 16, 2009
  8. Hi Chuck,

    I tried to install that hotfix and also could not install it. I got the
    error "The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the windows installer
    service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade
    patch may update a different version of the program. Verify that the
    program to be upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the
    correct upgrade patch.".

    Based on the assembly version number mentioned on KB(
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934839), I check the version of assembly
    that hotfix will update and the version number is higher on my machine. As
    far as I know, the hotfix has been applied so that I cannot install it.

    The project structure, such as the circular reference in pages, can cause
    the issue. So could you please send me a simplified package?

    Thomas Sun [MSFT], Jun 17, 2009
  9. Hi Chuck,

    How are things going? I would appreciate it if you could post here to let
    me know the status of the issue.

    I created test ASP.NET website using Visual Studio 2008 on Window Server
    2008 64bit and used Web Deployment project to deploy it with the same
    option as yours. But I could not repro the issue even though I tested it
    many times. So could you please send me a simplified package? Then I can
    test it on local and to see whether there is any clue.

    I am happy to be of assistance and look forward to hearing from you.

    Thomas Sun [MSFT], Jun 19, 2009
  10. Chuck

    Chuck Guest

    Problem continues intermittently.
    I imagine it is a problem with IIS not releasing access to the files because
    some thread is still executing against them.

    Chuck, Aug 3, 2009
  11. Hi Chuck,

    First of all, I am sorry for late response.

    Did you use Web Deployment project's "Create an IIS virtual directory for
    the output folder" and "Replace the existing virtual directory" options to
    deploy ASP.NET project automatically on IIS while we built Web Deployment
    project?

    If so, to work around the issue, we can use AfterBuild target of Web
    Deployment project to delete your project folder under Temporary ASP.NET
    Files folder. For example, we add AfterBuild target in the Web Deployment
    project file:
    ========================
    <Target Name="AfterBuild">
    <RemoveDir Directories="the directory of your website under Temporary
    ASP.NET Files" ></RemoveDir>
    </Target>

    For more information about AfterBuild target, see
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa479568.aspx (Especially in
    Customizing Web Deployment Projects).

    To confirm whether the assembly is used by another process, we can use
    Process Explorer to monitor it. For more information about Process
    Explorer, please refer to
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

    It would be better that you can send me a simplified package and the step

    Thomas Sun [MSFT], Aug 13, 2009