Text Size

Joe Patrick

On my websites index.html page I have this script:
<SCRIPT language="JavaScript">
<!-- //
if ((screen.width==1024) && (screen.height==768))
{
document.write('<a href="active.html">Click here</a> to Enter Railways
Online);
}
else
{
document.write('This site is Best Viewed with a 1024x768 resolution. If
you want to get the best of this site, please alter your settings, otherwise
}
//-->
</SCRIPT>
Which, If the resoultion is not 1024x768 will display the bottom message,
telling them to change their settings, if it is will display the top message
with just an entry link.
Is there a way of changing this so it will display the top message if the
Screen Resolution is 1024x768 and the text size is Medium.
Thanks in Advance,
Joe

Grant Wagner

No.

Joe said:
[...]

Wait, so my desktop (because screen.height/width is the dimensions of my
/desktop/, not the /browser/) of 1600 x 1200 is no good for your web site? You
want me to REDUCE my desktop size to best view your web site? What about all
those middle-aged people running 800 x 600 desktops on 15" monitors? You want
them to increase their desktop resolution to 1024 x 768 and go blind in the
process because that's what your web site happens to look best at?

(subliminal message: <url: http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?AnySizeDesign />)

STOP TRYING TO CONTROL THE USER'S ENVIRONMENT.

(subliminal message: <url: http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?AnySizeDesign />)

Make your web site look good (or reflow reasonably) at all resolutions and all
font sizes.

Not so subliminal message: GO HERE: <url:
http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?AnySizeDesign />

--
| Grant Wagner <[email protected]>

*

*

Kevin Scholl

Joe said:
On IE there is a Text Size under the View Menu

What of those of us that choose to use browsers other than (and usually
superior to) Internet Explorer, and therefor edo not have those options?
For example, I have View -> Increase Text Size and View -> Decrease Text
Size in my browser of choice (Mozilla FIrebird).

Herein lies the point the others have been making. You are unnecessarily
limited your audience. If your photos are large, that's fine -- those
that wish to view all of a particular photo will scroll as needed to
view it. The most you really need to do is place a small warning at the
entry point that "some photos contained in this site are large. They may
require extended download times and scrolling to view in their entirety."

Simple as that.

Kevin Scholl
(e-mail address removed)