The file could not be loaded into the Web Forms designer

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by crusell, Jan 25, 2005.

  1. crusell

    crusell Guest

    I'm having some problem with my Visual Studio.NET 2003 (.NET 1.1 SP1)
    install. I am unable to use the web forms designer with any aspx file
    whose
    form class inherits from a base class. I'm implementing the page
    controller
    design pattern and everything has been working fine until now. My form
    inherits from a base class called CampusNET.CampusPage. The class
    exists, is
    included in the project and compiles just fine. If I replace the base
    class
    for my form with the standard System.Web.UI.Page, the designer can open
    the
    form without any problems, but as soon as I try to inherit from my base
    class, it breaks down. I've tried it with an empty base class with only
    the
    Page_Load method, but the problem remains.

    The base class is not abstract so that's not the issue. Neither is the
    problem related to the registry entry that leads to the "Illegal
    character
    in path" error. The full error message looks like this:

    "The file could not be loaded into the Web Forms designer. Please
    correct
    the following error and then try loading it again:

    The designer could not be shown for this file because none of the
    classes
    within can be designed. The designer inspected the following classes in
    the
    file:

    MenuTest --- The base class 'CampusNET.CampusPage' could not be loaded.

    Ensure the assembly has been referenced or built if it is part of the
    project.

    Make sure all of the classes used in the page are build or referenced
    in the
    project. Click Help for more information."

    Has anyone encountered this problem before? I really need to get this
    fixed
    as soon as possible.

    Regards
    /C

    crusell, Jan 25, 2005

  2. crusell

    Guest Guest

    This is a known issue. I'm pretty certain that it's fixed in VS2005.

    Guest, Jan 25, 2005

  3. crusell

    Guest Guest

    I've had something similar with my own base classes... probably a simpler
    situation than yours. Mine rears it's head the first time you get the source
    code from source control, before you build your project. My project also
    contains the base class. It seems as if the designer needs the compiled
    version of the base class present - so my fix is to build the project so the
    base class gets fixed and all seems to work OK

    Hope this helps

    Richard MCSD .NET

    Guest, Feb 10, 2005