The file could not be loaded into the Web Forms designer

crusell

I'm having some problem with my Visual Studio.NET 2003 (.NET 1.1 SP1)
install. I am unable to use the web forms designer with any aspx file
whose
form class inherits from a base class. I'm implementing the page
controller
design pattern and everything has been working fine until now. My form
inherits from a base class called CampusNET.CampusPage. The class
exists, is
included in the project and compiles just fine. If I replace the base
class
for my form with the standard System.Web.UI.Page, the designer can open
the
form without any problems, but as soon as I try to inherit from my base
class, it breaks down. I've tried it with an empty base class with only
the
Page_Load method, but the problem remains.

The base class is not abstract so that's not the issue. Neither is the
problem related to the registry entry that leads to the "Illegal
character
in path" error. The full error message looks like this:

"The file could not be loaded into the Web Forms designer. Please
correct
the following error and then try loading it again:

The designer could not be shown for this file because none of the
classes
within can be designed. The designer inspected the following classes in
the
file:

MenuTest --- The base class 'CampusNET.CampusPage' could not be loaded.

Ensure the assembly has been referenced or built if it is part of the
project.

Make sure all of the classes used in the page are build or referenced
in the
project. Click Help for more information."

Has anyone encountered this problem before? I really need to get this
fixed
as soon as possible.

Regards
/C

Guest

I've had something similar with my own base classes... probably a simpler
situation than yours. Mine rears it's head the first time you get the source
code from source control, before you build your project. My project also
contains the base class. It seems as if the designer needs the compiled
version of the base class present - so my fix is to build the project so the
base class gets fixed and all seems to work OK

Hope this helps

Richard MCSD .NET