The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

Jerry

I've inherited a system w/5 projects - I'll refer to them
as P1 thru P5 - P5 being the executable...
P1 has no dependents.
P2 is dependant upon P1
P3 has no dependents.
P4 is dependant upon P1, P2, P3
P5 is dependant upon P1, P2, P3, P4

The build order is:
P1, P2, P3, P4, P5

So far so good?

I'm setting the 'Build' path of each project to
Px\obj\debug with the exception of the main project (P5)-
that is being built into its \BIN folder...

When I set the necessary references that each project
needs to reference, for example, P2 needs a reference to
P1, so I'll set that to P1\obj\debug\P1.DLL and so on.

What I'm getting now for the first 4 projects is:
Preparing resources...
Updating references...
Performing main compilation...
vbc : error BC31019: Unable to write to output
file 'C:\xxx\obj\Debug\P1.dll': The process cannot access
the file because it is being used by another process.
Building satellite assemblies...

and each one fails...

Can someone tell me (or point me somewhere) what I'm doing
wrong???

Thanx
JK

Marina

I would recommend opening each project in it's own solution. Quirky things
tend to happen with multiple projects in the same solution, I've found that
this way I avoid any problems.

Carl Prothman [MVP]

Jerry said:
I've inherited a system w/5 projects - I'll refer to them
as P1 thru P5 - P5 being the executable...
P1 has no dependents.
P2 is dependant upon P1
P3 has no dependents.
P4 is dependant upon P1, P2, P3
P5 is dependant upon P1, P2, P3, P4
The build order is:
P1, P2, P3, P4, P5

Jerry,
Make sure you don't have a trailing backslash in root web application
http://www.able-consulting.com/dotnet/aspnet/aspnet_faq.htm#Q9

Also, I would open each propect seperatly and make sure each
one compiles correctly. Then create a new solution and add each
project one at a time (P1, P3, P2, P4, P5). Visual Studio .NET
should be able to figure out the depencencies for you. You should
then be able to do a Build | Rebuild Solution and all should be well.

--

Thanks,
Carl Prothman
http://www.able-consulting.com

Jerry

I've tried that as well...Seems if I try to open up
p3.vbproj, the entire solution opens...I'm not able to
open just one project at a time...

JK

Marina

That's really strange, since a project cannot know about which solution it
is in, and in fact could be in multiple solution files.

But if this is the case, then create all new projects, add in the
corresponding code files and recompile. This should only take a few
minutes.