    standards? Where should I find this information? Thanks for any
    replies.

    bonnie

    bonnie, Sep 15, 2004

  2. bonnie

    JuanDG Guest

    JuanDG, Sep 21, 2004

  3. bonnie

    bonnie Guest

    Hi Juan,

    Thank you very much for the reply.

    I have watched the animation before and now once again. It explains
    well what the whole picture is like and how it works. But what I was
    looking for is how Microsoft realize recognizing device capabilities
    and filtering devices. W3C has made a standard, called Composite
    Capabilities/Preference Profile(CC/PP), a framework for expressing
    device capabilities and user preferences. OMA, former WAP Forum, has
    developed its own implementation for WAP devices based on this,
    UAProf. It defines an extensible vocabulary, and a protocol
    transforming the profiles as well. There are some OpenSource projects
    implementing CC/PP, such as DELI
    (http://www-uk.hpl.hp.com/people/marbut/). Also some people are
    implenting their own mechanism, such as WURFL
    (http://wurfl.sourceforge.net/index.php).

    But how does Microsoft's work? Does it have its own mechanism or it
    follows some standard too? I can't find where to find such
    information.

    BR, Bonnie

    bonnie, Sep 23, 2004
  4. bonnie

    JuanDG Guest

    We'll I thought at first this was some kind of beginner question, but I see
    you want "the real thing!!", so here I come!!

    Microsoft has it's own implementation of the Device Capabilities assessment
    written in the ASP.NET Engine (HTTP Pipelines) this pipelines are a
    collection of HTTP modules

    HTTP modules are classes that have access to the incoming request. These
    modules can inspect the incoming request and make decisions that affect the
    internal flow of the request. After passing through the specified HTTP
    modules, the request reaches an HTTP handler, whose job it is to generate
    the output that will be sent back to the requesting browser. all the
    information about the mobile device capabilities is written in the request.

    In fact, you can see a precise list of what modules are used by default by
    going to the machine.config file (located in the
    $WINDOWS$\Microsoft.NET\Framework\$VERSION$\CONFIG directory). Fist you can
    search for an element called <sectionGroup name="system.web"> and then the
    section corresponding to the devicefilters (<section name="deviceFilters"
    type="System.Web.Mobile.......). And the mobile controls (<section
    name="mobileControls" type="System.Web.UI.MobileControls...) they are the
    main classes for mobile web development in asp.net and as you can see they
    are in charged of handling requests from mobile devices.

    You'll also find a <mobileControls> tag and after this tag you'll locate al
    the device filters and if you have installed device updates you'll see the
    changes made by them in this section. This is the most interesting part
    because you'll meet the actual classes who take care of the rendering, like
    System.Web.UI.MobileControls.Adapters.WmlTextBoxAdapter capable of rendering
    textboxes to WML and a whole bunch of them for all the devices supported by
    the framework.

    then there's the <browserCaps> tag where you'll find all the set of
    capabilities ASP.NET defines for each type of browser it supports, as you'll
    see it's some what similar to WURFL and also very plain and simple.

    You can keep browsing the machine.config and the whole config folder and at
    the end you'll get the picture of how all the dirty work is done!!!!

    Hope its all clear now. Cheers!!!
    --

    Juan David Gomez A.
    Microsoft Certified Professional

    JuanDG, Sep 23, 2004
  5. bonnie

    bonnie Guest

    Hi Juan,

    Thank you so much. You are really really helpful!!
    I am going to do as you suggested and try to figure it out.

    Thought it might be somewhat like WURFL and I was right =).

    Seems standards can sleep in researchers' bag for a long while and de
    facto protocols are in real use... In your opinion, is Microsoft's
    better than the others?

    Best regards, Bonnie

    bonnie, Sep 27, 2004