Thread Execution

Discussion in 'Java' started by Linus, Oct 30, 2005.

  1. Linus

    Linus Guest

    Im programming for a mobile phone (though this is not a J2ME question)
    and basically I cant make a blocking call (such as opening a connection)
    from an CommandListener because it causes deadlock.

    So i created a new class that extends Thread that opens a connection, in
    the constructor it takes the class that created it (i think its whats
    called a call back) so that when it has created the connection it gives
    back the data streams to the original class.

    Should I continue execution from the call back method invoked by the
    connection creator, or should I poll to see when the data streams are !=
    null.

    The latter seems pointless in situation where im trying to avoid
    blocking. Im not quite sure how the garbage collector works but
    basically after the call back has been made i dont need the connection
    creater object any more so will it be destroyed? Or because thats the
    thread thats running will it be kept alive, anyway im a bit confused
    about how this all works so if someone could give me some pointers that
    would be great.

    HoboZilla

    Linus, Oct 30, 2005

  2. Those pretty much are the two choices. The thread that actually creates the
    connection must either call back to the original object (or some listener /
    handler / lock object) or it must maintain state and be polled. Callback is
    usually preferred to prevent delays and wasted time polling, but it requires
    that the callback object be properly synchronized so that it can accept the
    call from a 2nd thread. Polling still requires some synchronization, but
    the caller can remain single-threaded.
    That would only be true if your main thread spent all its time polling.
    Usually it would intersperse polling with its regular work. Doing
    "busy-idle" spin-polling is a bad idea all around. You can either embed
    periodic polling into your other thread or go with the callback. GUIs like
    Swing include an "invoke later" operation so the callback request occurs
    properly threaded with the GUI.
    Your new connection thread acts as an anchor to keep alive all the objects
    reachable from the current thread state. After the connection thread makes
    the callback, its work is done and the thread can exit. The objects
    anchored by the thread will become eligible for garbage collection sometime
    after that.

    The platform you're on may also offer special techniques to help either with
    the polling or callback operations.

    Cheers,

    Matt Humphrey, Oct 31, 2005