ThreadAbortException & executionTimeout

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by SevDer, Mar 13, 2006.

  1. SevDer

    SevDer Guest

    Hi

    We have a case where client clicks a button and series of events take place
    which some of them are web service calls. And sometimes, we are receiving
    ThreadAbortException on the final steps which results in unacceptable case.

    So far, I find out that I can modify executionTimeout to make the execution
    longer. However I do not wish to do that through out the application but for
    a certain page or method or block.
    First of all, is this possible?
    If not, what are the recommendations?

    I also reached the following note:
    Note: Timeout values are specified in milliseconds. If you have debug="false"
    in the Web.config file, the executionTimeout value will be ignored.

    Why is this? In production eviorment, definetelly I would do debug="false".
    So what will this do?

    Thanks to anyone who readys and responds.

    SevDer, Mar 13, 2006

  2. SevDer

    Bruce Barker Guest

    there are lots of timeout values.

    1) script time out (how long the page will run)
    2) database connection timeouts
    3) database query timeout
    4) webservice call timeout
    5) proxy servier timeout
    6) browser requiest timeout

    you can control the script (asp.net page process) timeout on a per page
    basis, see HttpServerUtility.ScriptTimeout.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    Bruce Barker, Mar 13, 2006

  3. Hi SevDer,

    For your scenario, if the problem does be caused by the request's
    executionTimeout, we can just enlarge the "executionTimeout" setting of the
    httpRuntime element. And for ASP.NET web.config, we can use the <location>
    element to configure such setting for individual page or sub directory.

    #How to: Configure Specific Directories Using Location Settings

    e.g:

    <configuration>
    <location path="UploadPage.aspx">
    <httpRuntime maxRequestLength="128"/>
    </location>
    </configuration>

    BTW, to make the httpRuntime setting work as expected, make sure your web
    application is condfigured as "release" mode(compilation/@debug attribute
    set to false). In debug mode, such setting like the executionTimeout may
    work differently.

    Hope this helps.

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng