ThreadAbortException & executionTimeout

SevDer

Hi

We have a case where client clicks a button and series of events take place
which some of them are web service calls. And sometimes, we are receiving
ThreadAbortException on the final steps which results in unacceptable case.

So far, I find out that I can modify executionTimeout to make the execution
longer. However I do not wish to do that through out the application but for
a certain page or method or block.
First of all, is this possible?
If not, what are the recommendations?

I also reached the following note:
Note: Timeout values are specified in milliseconds. If you have debug="false"
in the Web.config file, the executionTimeout value will be ignored.

Why is this? In production eviorment, definetelly I would do debug="false".
So what will this do?

Thanks to anyone who readys and responds.

Bruce Barker

there are lots of timeout values.

1) script time out (how long the page will run)
2) database connection timeouts
3) database query timeout
4) webservice call timeout
5) proxy servier timeout
6) browser requiest timeout

you can control the script (asp.net page process) timeout on a per page
basis, see HttpServerUtility.ScriptTimeout.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi SevDer,

For your scenario, if the problem does be caused by the request's
executionTimeout, we can just enlarge the "executionTimeout" setting of the
httpRuntime element. And for ASP.NET web.config, we can use the <location>
element to configure such setting for individual page or sub directory.

#How to: Configure Specific Directories Using Location Settings

e.g:

<configuration>
<location path="UploadPage.aspx">
<httpRuntime maxRequestLength="128"/>
</location>
</configuration>

BTW, to make the httpRuntime setting work as expected, make sure your web
application is condfigured as "release" mode(compilation/@debug attribute
set to false). In debug mode, such setting like the executionTimeout may
work differently.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Steven Cheng