Threading and production environments

kj

When I tried to rebuild DBI today, I got the following warning:

*** You are using a perl configured with threading enabled.
*** You should be aware that using multiple threads is
*** not recommended for production environments.

I fought hard the decision to compile perl with threading support
because I was aware of this recommendation, but I was overruled by
our sysadmin and several co-workers.

I am inclined to revisit the subject, but I'd like to know how
current the warning above really is, and whether the problems with
enabling threading affect programs that don't explicitly use
threading.

Your opinions on the subject would be very much appreciated. The
OS is Linux (SuSE) and the architecture is i686.

Thanks,

kj

xhoster

kj said:
When I tried to rebuild DBI today, I got the following warning:

*** You are using a perl configured with threading enabled.
*** You should be aware that using multiple threads is
*** not recommended for production environments.

I fought hard the decision to compile perl with threading support
because I was aware of this recommendation, but I was overruled by
our sysadmin and several co-workers.

I am inclined to revisit the subject, but I'd like to know how
current the warning above really is, and whether the problems with
enabling threading affect programs that don't explicitly use
threading.

I have used DBI extensively (MySQL and Oracle) in non-threaded code running
on a threaded build of perl, and I have never encountered a problem.
(Well, I encouter all kinds of problems, but not ones related to the
threadedness. :) )

Xho