Timeout in ASP.NET

Grey

I have developed an ASP.NET application for my user. When the user left the application for a while (still open in the IE), and then go back the application. He found that some buttons to start some functions were failed. However, when he normally use (did not leave the application), he found it's OK. I want to know that how's happen?? is there something set to the application timeout?? If so, How I disable it or set longer time??

Million Thanks.

Eric

Jacky Kwok

Grey said:
I have developed an ASP.NET application for my user. When the user left the application for a while (still open in the IE), and then go back the application. He found that some buttons to start some functions were failed. However, when he normally use (did not leave the application), he found it's OK. I want to know that how's happen?? is there something set to the application timeout?? If so, How I disable it or set longer time??

Million Thanks.

Eric

"httpRuntime" section in "Web.config" file

<!--
executionTimeout=??? seconds
-->
<httpRuntime
executionTimeout="1200"
/>

Peter Rilling

IIS will timeout a session after 20 minutes (by default). You can change that with settings for in the virtual directory in the IIS manager, or you can set some properties in ASP.NET which can control the timeout (using the HttpSessionState.Timeout), but for the most part, a timeout does exist. After all, you do not necessarily want a session to hand around forever.

You might be able to disable the session (I don't know how), but then your application may not be able to maintain state. A session should always have a timeout because the system uses resources when the session is active and if the session never ends, the resources still stay around.