Tomcat 6 - SSL - Cache headers

Chris Seidel

Hi,

wenn I add a security-constraint like this:

<security-constraint>
<web-resource-collection>
<web-resource-name>SSL</web-resource-name>
<url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
</web-resource-collection>
<user-data-constraint>
</user-data-constraint>
</security-constraint>

to my web.xml, Tomcat automatically adds response headers which disable
caching.

This make sense, the data is confidential and shall not be cached anywhere.

But: IE is now no longer able to show files via plugins, because it is not
allowed to save the file into its cache and then transfer it to the
plugin. This is a known problem, one can disable this behaviour by setting
a registry key... Umpf.

Questions:

Why doesn't tomcat set this header if this security constraint does not
exist, but the url is a httpS-url? This makes no sense for me.

Why is Firefox be able to show the files via plugins? Is this a bug?

How can I configure tomcat not to set these headers?

Thank you.