Tools for web applications

Mario

What easyToLearn tools you suggest for creating:
1. powerfull web applications
2. desktop applications

Daniel Fetchinson

What easyToLearn tools you suggest for creating:
1. powerfull web applications

Have a look at http://wiki.python.org/moin/WebFrameworks

You will find that there are many options each with its own fan crowd
emphasizing the advantages and downplaying the disadvantages of their
favorite framework. You will pretty much have to decide for yourself
which suits you best. I'm personally very happy with turbogears.
2. desktop applications

Dabo is a desktop application framework: http://dabodev.com/
Or you perhaps mean a GUI framework? Have a look at
http://wiki.python.org/moin/GuiProgramming
The same comments as above apply, you need to detail your requirements
before an informed advice can be given.

Cheers,
Daniel

Mario

Have a look at http://wiki.python.org/moin/WebFrameworks

You will find that there are many options each with its own fan crowd
emphasizing the advantages and downplaying the disadvantages of their
favorite framework. You will pretty much have to decide for yourself
which suits you best. I'm personally very happy with turbogears.

Dabo is a desktop application framework: http://dabodev.com/ Or you
perhaps mean a GUI framework? Have a look at
http://wiki.python.org/moin/GuiProgramming The same comments as above
apply, you need to detail your requirements before an informed advice
can be given.

Cheers,
Daniel

And what IDE you suggest ? I need an information about tools for a quick
start, so that I can decide about learning Ruby, python or something
else. My field of interest is a small business applications (desktop and
web), so that I have a practical tool for practical use of accounting and
financial methods.

Mario

And what IDE you suggest ? I need an information about tools for a quick
start, so that I can decide about learning Ruby, python or something
else. My field of interest is a small business applications (desktop and
web), so that I have a practical tool for practical use of accounting
and financial methods.

Is it NetBeans suitable for Python ?

Daniel Fetchinson

What easyToLearn tools you suggest for creating: 1. powerfull web
And what IDE you suggest ?

I use vi, I like it much more than any IDE (or is vi an IDE?). Your
needs might be different though. I'd suggest using something you are
already familiar with, most IDEs work with different languages so if
you used one already chances are it will understand python too.

This will give you a good start: http://docs.python.org/tutorial/index.html
And also this: http://diveintopython.org/
My field of interest is a small business applications (desktop and
web), so that I have a practical tool for practical use of accounting and
financial methods.

Well, pretty much any modern dynamical language will be suitable for
what you describe. I would personally recommend python but that
doesn't mean ruby or anything else can't do the job, you have to
decide which language "feels" right for you.

Cheers,
Daniel

Mario

I used JCreator LE, java IDE for windows because, when I add documentation
of some new library, I have it on a F1 and index. So how you manage
documentation and code completion ? I asume that you are geek but not even
geeks could know every method of every class.

Daniel Fetchinson

I used JCreator LE, java IDE for windows because, when I add documentation
of some new library, I have it on a F1 and index. So how you manage
documentation and code completion ? I asume that you are geek but not even
geeks could know every method of every class.

Vi has code completion and arbitrary documentation can be built in via
external programs or vi scripts linked to arbitrary keys. Currently
I'm using the C documentation that is packaged as a vi script and the
python documentation that is accessed through pydoc.

In case your current IDE does not support python but you enjoy using a
GUI maybe Wing IDE or Eclipse with the pydev plugin will be to your
liking.

Cheers,
Daniel

Marco Mariani

Mario said:
I used JCreator LE, java IDE for windows because, when I add documentation
of some new library, I have it on a F1 and index. So how you manage
documentation and code completion ? I asume that you are geek but not even
geeks could know every method of every class.

What you call "code completion" cannot work in many cases with dynamic
languages. Nobody knows which methods are available to an object until
the program is running.
Dynamic access to attributes/methods that don't explicitly exist in
Python code, is much more common than you might think.
As an example, your object might be an instance of a class mapped to SQL
tables that are reflected at runtime. Attributes would represent
database columns and other things that are never declared in Python code.
Or suppose the object is returned by an XML/HTML/JSON parser from a
document the program has just downloaded from Argentina. Methods here
would be the sub-elements or tag attributes for traversing the document.
The instance we're talking of might even be deserialized from ...
somewhere, without any need to declare type or any interface at all.

I must admit that I've never used completion of anything while
developing. I routinely it do with the IPython shell, and I would suffer
if I didn't have it in postgres, but not while editing python.

Trent Mick

As Scott indicates, one can often do a fairly good job. I'm definitely
not a Java guy, but I've heard that Java generics (don't ask me to
identify one of them! :) can cause similar pains for Java
autocomplete/calltips as some dynamic language patterns can.
You'd be amazed at how much ActiveState's Python _can_ and _does_
guess/infer about available methods. It is pretty fancy (even for
an old stick-in-the-mud "Lave my keyboard alone" guy like me.

Do you mean Komodo?
http://www.activestate.com/komodo/

Trent