Total newbie (experienced C++ dev) looking for C# with ASP.Net book or...

WTH

....pointers.

Any good books or starting points? New job in a few weeks and they want to
start using C# with ASP.Net and I know exactly zero about either.

Much appreciated,

WTH

Kevin Spencer

If you're experienced with C++, you should have no trouble adapting to C#.
The Microsoft .Net SDK is a free download, and I highly recommend it:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...A6-3647-4070-9F41-A333C6B9181D&displaylang=en

ASP.Net is actually a good bit harder to work with than Desktop executables,
as HTTP is stateless, which makes maintaining state across page views
complicated. As it is an Internetwork technology, security is also
problematic.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

WTH

Kevin Spencer said:
If you're experienced with C++, you should have no trouble adapting to C#.
The Microsoft .Net SDK is a free download, and I highly recommend it:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...A6-3647-4070-9F41-A333C6B9181D&displaylang=en

ASP.Net is actually a good bit harder to work with than Desktop executables,
as HTTP is stateless, which makes maintaining state across page views
complicated. As it is an Internetwork technology, security is also
problematic.

I've got Java EJB experience as well, I assume that there are session
contexts of some sort for state persistance betwixt pages.

I started using C# today and can't believe how incredibly similar to Java it
is in form and syntax.

WTH

Kevin Spencer

There is Session State alright, but there are other caching mechanisms as
well, with different scopes, for different purposes. For example, for Page
scope, there is ViewState, which compresses page-specific data into a hidden
form field in the client HTML document, so that when it posts back, the
server can restore its state. There is also Application State, which is
truly global. And a few other minor players.

Yes, it is similar to (but better than) Java. And if you've ever done any
Delphi, you may notice similarity there as well.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Kevin Spencer

Just an unrelated comment, why would any body go from C++ to C# - not that
anything is wrong with it, but to me it is a step down?!

Can you write a .Net application in C++?

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

WTH

Reza Solouki said:
Just an unrelated comment, why would any body go from C++ to C# - not that
anything is wrong with it, but to me it is a step down?!

Different tool for a different purpose. The shop I'm going to work for uses
ASP .Net for web administration of certain back end services and they want
to use C# with ASP .Net rather than VBScript or other scripting languages.

I'll still be doing C++/OpenGL/DirectX code as well, that's just a different
set of responsibilities.

WTH

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

I believe C# offers a better, more efficient way of doing routine tasks.
that's the reason i switched. it's difficult to accept other languages at
first because C++ is like a cult.

Ben Lovell

Hi,

If you're starting out i'd recommend the following books for ASP.NET, C# and
the .NET framework in general:

Essential ASP.NET with examples in C# (Fritz Onion)
Inside C# (Tom Archer)
Applied Microsoft.NET Framework Programming (Richter)

Take a look at the Quickstart tutorials that are installed with the .NET SDK
also for a good starting point. With your kind of background you shouldn't
have any trouble picking up the essentials.

--
Ben
http://bitarray.co.uk/ben

Alvin Bruney said:
I believe C# offers a better, more efficient way of doing routine tasks.
that's the reason i switched. it's difficult to accept other languages at
first because C++ is like a cult.

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney
Reza Solouki said:
Just an unrelated comment, why would any body go from C++ to C# - not
that
anything is wrong with it, but to me it is a step down?!

Joerg Jooss

Reza said:
Just an unrelated comment, why would any body go from C++ to C# - not
that anything is wrong with it, but to me it is a step down?!

If gravity inverts, it's a step down ;-)

Cheers,

Stephanie_Stowe

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=9B3A2CA6-3647-4070->
9F41-A333C6B9181D&displaylang=en

ASP.Net is actually a good bit harder to work with than Desktop executables,
as HTTP is stateless, which makes maintaining state across page views
complicated. As it is an Internetwork technology, security is also
problematic.

OK, I guess this is a little bit of a digression. But I do not agree that
ASP.NET (or really web dev) is any *harder* than desktop apps. Just
different. Trade state management with client dll dependencies and the
need for installers. Trade the web security hastles with the hastles of
having client apps authenticate directly to the data store...