Trouble with aspnet_wp.exe

Akoni

Hello,

I have written a ASP.NET (C#) front-end that connects to an unmanaged win32
c++ dll. A few problems occur:

-I am unable to use the IO stream (write to an event log) from the dll.
Although I can successfully use an IO stream when calling the dll from a
regular .net Windows Form.

-The program behaves very inconsitently. Normally I can connect to my
database (via the unmanaged C++ dll) for the first time only. After this it
will crash everytime UNTIL I restart the aspnet_wp process from the task
manager (at which time I can again connect to the database one time).

This will never be a productive product unless I can get a handle on why I
need to reboot aspnet_wp every 5 minutes.

Has anyone else experienced problems with aspnet_wp.exe?

Thanks!

Paul Glavich [MVP - ASP.NET]

The ASPNET user under which the web application will run will not be able to
write to a file (I assume thats what you are using the stream for) without
explicit access/priveleges to do so. You need to give the ASPNET user enough
permissions to write to the specified directory/file.

As to your database problem, it sounds like the connection is being opened,
then not closed properly and no more connections are being allowed. Perhaps
connection pooling has been disabled? What is your connection string?

Akoni

Thanks Paul,

Your saying that my ASPNET account has read-only privileges to my file
system? How would I go about changing the privileges of the ASPNET account?

I am actually using a Versant database (C++ Object-Oriented
database...non-.NET compliant) on the back-end. Since it does not support
..NET objects, I have to use an unmanaged non-COM C++ DLL to access and store
to it (via marshalling from c# to the unmanaged c++). The problem is that I
get very strange and inconsistent behavior.

I can actually connect to the database and even interact with it for a
period of time. Eventually though, every call to the unmanaged code causes
some generic error message to pop up...even upon rebooting the app! That is,
until I reboot aspnet_wp...which seems to clear "everything" out.

Thanks for your help.