Tutorial on Form based Applications.

Wm. G. Urquhart

Hi All,

I'm looking to develop a small application using a JFrame as a
container. Then subject to the menu selection made display the
appropriate form in the frame, that either accepts or displays
the required information.

However, as my experience of writing GUI apps is zero I'd be
obliged if someone can point me in the direction of a good
tutorial.

I've done a google and checked the sun site but I can't find
what I'm looking for.

Karsten Lentzsch

Wm. G. Urquhart said:
However, as my experience of writing GUI apps is zero I'd be
obliged if someone can point me in the direction of a good
tutorial.

I provide free libraries, articles, presentations and
binary demos that can help you get started with Swing.
Regarding the form based panel construction I can
wholeheartly recommend to give the Forms framework a try.
It ships with a bunch of well designed examples and
makes simple things easy and the hard stuff possible.

A good starting point is the Metamorphosis demo that
shows some don'ts and do's for Swing development, see
http://www.jgoodies.com/freeware/metamorphosis/

Next you may check out the "First Aid" presentation
at http://www.jgoodies.com/articles/

Then download the Forms, browse the HTML documentation,
launch the Forms Demo and study the tutorial sources.
http://www.jgoodies.com/freeware/forms/
http://www.jgoodies.com/freeware/formsdemo/

You may also consider using the Plastic look for a
fresh appearance: http://www.jgoodies.com/freeware/looks/

I'm about to open source my Skeleton application
at JavaDesktop.org. It demonstrates good practice
patterns for Swing applications. The sources are already
in the CVS. It is scheduled for later this month.

Hope this helps,
Karsten

Wm. G. Urquhart

[...]

Hi Karsten, I had a look at the site this morning and I'm very
impressed. I'll take some time out to read what's there a bit
better.

Thanks to all those who replied.

:wq