tutorials

Roman Töngi

Does anyone know a good resource for C++ tutorials?
I am a total novice to C++ programming and
looking for tutorials for ISO C++ console programming.

Thanks
Roman

Victor Bazarov

Roman said:
Does anyone know a good resource for C++ tutorials?
I am a total novice to C++ programming and
looking for tutorials for ISO C++ console programming.

Nothing beats a good book with exercises and/or decide on
a project (an application or a library or both) and just do
it and learn while doing it. Don't forget a good book.

Alf P. Steinbach

* Roman Töngi:
Does anyone know a good resource for C++ tutorials?
I am a total novice to C++ programming and
looking for tutorials for ISO C++ console programming.

Shame on Victor and Ioannis <g> for not mentioning my tutorial
at <url: http://home.no.net/dubjai/win32cpptut/html/> (or go directly
to <url: http://home.no.net/dubjai/win32cpptut/html/w32cpptut_01.html>).

This is, AFAIK, the only relatively correct ISO C++ tutorial on the net.
It's something of a cross between a pure tutorial and an e-book. The
first chapters have been extensively reviewed & corrected via Usenet
discussions in this group, in [comp.lang.c++.moderated], and elsewhere.

You might also find Bruce Eckel's "Thinking in C++" e-book of
interest, at <url: http://www.mindview.net/Books>. However, that's a
bit old. And it's best for C programmers trying to learn C++.

Alf P. Steinbach

* Ioannis Vranos:
I thought that it was not finished yet. :)

It isn't. But eight chapters is enough to get started. I started writing
on chapter 2.2 -- from scratch, again -- yesterday, author's loop... ;-)

Jonathan Arnold

Roman said:
Does anyone know a good resource for C++ tutorials?
I am a total novice to C++ programming and
looking for tutorials for ISO C++ console programming.

A book I used to recommend alot to novice programmers (as opposed
to novice C++ programmers), was "Who's Afraid of C++" by Steve
Heller. It recounted his long email exchange with a complete
novice programmer, teaching her C++. I was pleased to find that
he has an updated version, now called "C++ A Dialog", and it is
available on the web here:

http://www.steveheller.com/cppad/Output/dialogTOC.html

Ioannis Vranos

Jonathan said:
A book I used to recommend alot to novice programmers (as opposed
to novice C++ programmers), was "Who's Afraid of C++" by Steve
Heller. It recounted his long email exchange with a complete
novice programmer, teaching her C++. I was pleased to find that
he has an updated version, now called "C++ A Dialog", and it is
available on the web here:

http://www.steveheller.com/cppad/Output/dialogTOC.html

This is a review about another book of him, but I think what this review is saying about
the low level stuff of that other book, applies equally here.

http://www.accu.org/cgi-bin/accu/rvout.cgi?from=0sb_beginner_s_c__&file=l002310a

Why would a C++ novice get into registers, second level cache, etc?

For completeness, here is a review for the first book that you are mentioning:

http://www.accu.org/cgi-bin/accu/rvout.cgi?from=0sb_beginner_s_c__&file=w002011a

Joined
Aug 13, 2006
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Don't criticize a book you haven't read

It is bad enough to be unfairly criticized by self-appointed "experts" on ACCU. However, it is even worse for one of my books to be criticized by someone who hasn't read it, based on a review of another book! Here's a simple rule: don't state your opinion of a book you haven't read.