Typed Datasets and performance

Chris

Are there any performance issues with typed datasets in a fairly high
performance system?

Ornette

Hello,

Typed dataset allow you to maintain the code more easily (autocompletion,
column names...). It also check the constraints when you insert rows or data
in you dataset (so you don't have a call to the database to know it
constraints are OK). It can be very usefull for master/details tables.

The problem of performence depends on the amount of data you're using and
what you're doing with the Data.
I have an old project where I have to check "manually" constraints on 12 000
rows in a dataset. There is approximately 15 columns. The "foreach"
statement takes about 20 second to end on a P4 3Ghz 3Go RAM. The tests loops
from one table and do some job comparing values on a second table.

I have an other project with 50 000 rows using typed dataset. To each row
correspond a details row. The fill method is quite long (about 1,5 or 2
seconds). But after everything is checked each time i'm changing values. So
I think this is a good way to work.

It really depends on what you're trying to do.

Not sure it helps but you should describe more your project !!

Ornette