unable to create Web project

John Baima

I am unable to create Web project now. If I do a File | New Project |
ASP.NET Web Application, I always get a message like:

======
Unable to create Web project 'MyTestWeb'. The file path
'c:\inetpub\wwwroot\MyTestWeb' does not correspond to the URL
'http://localhost/MyTestWeb'. The two need to map to the same server
location.
======

But that is not right. I can open a file in my browser with, for
example, http://localhost/MyTestWeb/index.htm and it is in fact in the
directory, c:\inetpub\wwwroot\MyTestWeb. If I open IIS, I can right
click on files and have them opened in VS.NET (2003). I've tried to
look at the permissions, and I think that they are okay although I'm
not entirely sure about that. Thanks for any help.

I'm running XP Pro.

What am I doing wrong???

John

John Baima

John said:
I am unable to create Web project now. If I do a File | New Project |
ASP.NET Web Application, I always get a message like:

======
Unable to create Web project 'MyTestWeb'. The file path
'c:\inetpub\wwwroot\MyTestWeb' does not correspond to the URL
'http://localhost/MyTestWeb'. The two need to map to the same server
location.
======

This problem really sucks and the docs are really bad. Here are the
three things I found which solved the problem for me [IIS 5.1 (XP
Pro)]:

A. IE
====

1 - Fire up IE browser
2 - go to Tools Menu
3 - Select Internet Options
4 - In the Internet Options dialog box, click the Connections tab
5 - In that tab, click on the LAN Settings button
6 - The LAN Settings dialog box will come up

Then, UNCHECK the 'Automatically Detect Settings' Checkbox.

**You must also check the "Bypass proxy server for local addresses
Checkbox!!

If you get a HTTP Error 403: Access denied, try:

B. IIS Default Web Site
================

1 - Control Panel
2 - Administrative Tools
3 - Computer Management
4 - Services And Applications
5 - Internet Information Services
6 - Default Web Site
7 - Right click -> Properties -> Home Directory
8 - Just under "Local Path", click on: Script Source Access, Read

C. IIS Needs ASP.NET

If you re-install ISS, you need to also re-install the ASP.NET (1.1)
extensions.

try this

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet_regiis -i

Hope that this helps someone else!!

-John