unicode: é=>e, á=>a

peter pilsl

I'm working on a project, that is fully implemented in unicode. We need
to support non-unicode-able terminals in a very spartanic way. By now we
simple nuke everything that is not [a-z0-9] for these terminals.
But I think it could be done a bit better by replacing common unicodes
by their latin "nearbyes" like é=>e, á=>a ...
Is there any easy trick or a module that can do this?

thnx,
peter

ps: in fact we have the trouble that some IE-apple cannot display
unicode in dropdowns ...

Arndt Jonasson

peter pilsl wrote:
[...]
terminals. But I think it could be done a bit better by replacing
common unicodes by their latin "nearbyes" like é=>e, á=>a ...

Maybe the CPAN module Unicode::Lite does this - it seems from its
description that it might.

Alan J. Flavell

while IE has many flaws

Somehow if "apples" are involved, I'm not sure that Win IE is the
topic of discourse. It might be worth stressing that Mac IE and Win
IE are totally different products.
it surely can display Unicode characters in dropdowns (even those
outside of the ASCII range) just fine provided you have the proper
code page installed

Erm, code pages, what? I thought those went out of fashion with DOS,
sorry.

I got my *Windows* borders, dropdowns, popups etc. to support a much
wider character repertoire by going to control panel -> Display ->
Appearance, and selecting a more-appropriate font for the various
"Items" than the Windows installation had chosen by default.

However, what relevance that might have to Apples and Perls is
admittedly questionable.
But this is way off topic in a Perl NG and you may want to discuss
this in a NG dedicated to web programming or IE.

Conceded ;-)